Identification of parts

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van_Dammesque

Can someone id the part names of the following and hopefully where I can buy them?
(Pics coutesyof ScubaSteve's thread)

The clip and pin for the brake shoe...
2hf0t43.jpg

and what I would call the rear drum mount...
14ug7pl.jpg

I believe the drum mount is distorted and rubs against the drum causing heat and wearing the bearings out. i have nothing but problems with bearings and this is the only thing that hasn't been addressed. Someone must have used a hammer and screwdriver to prise off the drum in the past as visible damage can be easily seen. Can they be swapped?

Also when I change the shoes recently one of the clip and pins was different, it was a spring and washer type (camlock?) I do not know if this has any bearing on the problems I am having (excuse the pun!) but one brake shoe was worn and the other not. I'll take pics and upload them.

Quick update, pics of drum on and off:

You can see the uneveness where it is rusty at 9 and 3 o'clock...
25sae0l.jpg

Odd pin is on the right...
11r867p.jpg

The good news is that the pads are wearing evenly, unlike my last set so no to worried about the pin.
The seal was a bit chewed on the inner side of the bearing (the bit that touches the axle stub).
The bearing itself is fine on the outerside of the drum and not so smooth on the inner side, hence the whine. Maybe I have been unlucky?

Wearing the bearings out quickly is usually down to the drum itself, the backplate there won't affect the drums at all. Is your car lowered or have aftermarket wheels? These can also cause bearings to wear fast

oilburner said:
Wearing the bearings out quickly is usually down to the drum itself, the backplate there won't affect the drums at all. Is your car lowered or have aftermarket wheels? These can also cause bearings to wear fast
the drum was replaced several months ago along with the axle stub too.
Had to replace the bearings several times before this too.

No after market suspension or wheels etc...
The drum doesn't seem to rotate as freely as the other side (which is an old drum) and seems like it is rubbing against the backplate. I will carefully examine if any there is any interference and maybe grind the backplate?

Just a thought. Are you torquing the drums up to the correct torque when you put the drums back on? Not doing this can cause premature bearing failure. (you probably are but thought I'd mention it just in case) :)

lusid666 said:
Just a thought. Are you torquing the drums up to the correct torque when you put the drums back on? Not doing this can cause premature bearing failure. (you probably are but thought I'd mention it just in case) :)

Good call, my wrench only goes upto 210 Nm rather than the 235 Nm prescribed.

God knows what the garage have torqued upto!

I'm thinking the distorted backpalte are more prone to let in dirt too.

This was the bit that was pulled out, can you say it was the seal of the bearing?

2jfl3q.jpg

Latest posts

Back