Inside of the rear bumper

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulQ

Does anyone have a clear photograph of the inside of the rear bumper, particularly the offside and nearside ends?

I took my car to a welder/restorer to have metal arches inserted, and now, both ends of the bumper are sticking out a little. I can push them back but they just spring out again. It is as if a clip or a bracket is no longer there.

I saw, very briefly, one photo that the guy had taken: it seemed to show that during the welding, a piece of what looked like plywood had been inserted between the bodywork and the bumper and levered back so as to create a gap for welding/protecting the bumper.

I asked if he had removed the inner trim and he said he had not. However, the inner trim and the hatch-seal have been disturbed and the hatch does not close as easily as it did. He certainly did not remove the inner arch liners: they are still filthy and caked in mud.

I am not very happy at the moment.

Really excellent! Many thanks, Yog.

So the thing keeping the sides of the bumper against the body is the large, white cup-cake holder thing (as seen most clearly in 1,2,& 4) which goes into the corresponding hole in the bumper.

It looks like they have broken these.

Yog, I'm officially in awe of how clean your Puma is. Have I missed a thread?! Looks mint

Hi Paul
The cups might not be broken as there should be 2 screws that go up into the bumper just as it starts at the rear of the wheel arch. These actually go through a hole in the rear wing and help to fix the bumper in place. If you have rear mudflaps it's the top mounting screw. If you want to remove the bumper in future without damaging the plastic cups when you remove the boot carpets there is a rubber bung at the bottom corner of the inner wing. If you remove this you can see a tang that comes off the plastic cups. If you press on this it deforms the plastic cup so that the bumper will pull away from the cup.
Hope that helps
Barry

tuonokid said:
Hi Paul
The cups might not be broken as there should be 2 screws that go up into the bumper just as it starts at the rear of the wheel arch. These actually go through a hole in the rear wing and help to fix the bumper in place.If you have rear mudflaps it's the top mounting screw.
I know the ones you mean.
If you want to remove the bumper in future without damaging the plastic cups when you remove the boot carpets there is a rubber bung at the bottom corner of the inner wing. If you remove this you can see a tang that comes off the plastic cups. If you press on this it deforms the plastic cup so that the bumper will pull away from the cup.
Hope that helps
Barry
Yes, it does. Thanks. The bumper is loose on both sides just below the lights. It feels as if it should be clipping into something, but isn't.

Hi Paul
The bumper should also be bolted on through the back panel, surely these bolts have been tightened up?
Barry

The bolts through the back are OK, but end of the bumper on each side is not secure. nor does it align with the area above the wheelarch. I have arrowed it in the picture. If I press at that point, the bumper does align with the body... but then springs out by 2 mm.

14741014987_061614a628_b.jpg

That is strange. On mine the bumper wouldn't align at the wheelarch end until I put the top mudflap screws in but once they were in it was ok. If I was you I'd get some help and take the bumper back of and make sure the plastic fasteners are ok.
Barry

Latest posts

Back