ITBs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am really interested in this subject. Could someone comment on this? http://www.fiesta-si.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting idea; running ITB only as air modulators to the engine and retaining stock injection. With that plenum that is very similar to the BMW M engines which all (based on my experinece) are GREAT either at throttle response or power combined with low end punch.
My thinking was as follows: put ITB on standard engine, run it with FRP map and FRP cams and FRP exhaust. Would that be, in anyone's educated guess be on par with FRP intake plenum setup or perhaps better?
When I look at the prices of FRP it is just incredible steep to buy one; this setup would and should be 20-30 % of that max, plus it is nice project and you get to learn something new…
@lightning motorsport: The plenum of yours is bolted to the bottom half of intake. It's length is 22-23 cms. FRP intake is same in length as a regular puma coming at 42-43 cms. That gives resonance at 4100 rpm (give or take) in both cases. What is the story with your plenum? I am affraid the low end power would suffer? Do you have any printout of torque with your plenum on it? I understand that half the length could give similar results in using the second wave pulsation (2nd order harmonic) but don't think Ford would have done it the way it did unless it was necessary?
Long post, sorry and thanks in advance

AH. I knew it would be "something" TB (and something to do with bike TBs, from a google spy..), just could not for the life of me work out what the "I" stood for.

I've never actually seen a car with these before. Look's mean. Is that a photo of yours?

Edit: Also, thank you!

Wild E. Coyote said:
I am really interested in this subject. Could someone comment on this? http://www.fiesta-si.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting idea; running ITB only as air modulators to the engine and retaining stock injection. With that plenum that is very similar to the BMW M engines which all (based on my experinece) are GREAT either at throttle response or power combined with low end punch.
My thinking was as follows: put ITB on standard engine, run it with FRP map and FRP cams and FRP exhaust. Would that be, in anyone's educated guess be on par with FRP intake plenum setup or perhaps better?
When I look at the prices of FRP it is just incredible steep to buy one; this setup would and should be 20-30 % of that max, plus it is nice project and you get to learn something new…
@lightning motorsport: The plenum of yours is bolted to the bottom half of intake. It's length is 22-23 cms. FRP intake is same in length as a regular puma coming at 42-43 cms. That gives resonance at 4100 rpm (give or take) in both cases. What is the story with your plenum? I am affraid the low end power would suffer? Do you have any printout of torque with your plenum on it? I understand that half the length could give similar results in using the second wave pulsation (2nd order harmonic) but don't think Ford would have done it the way it did unless it was necessary?

Trying to liven up the thread. Anyone knows answer to any of the questions?

Thanks in advance, as always

Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to say welcome to Chris (LMS)! Good to see you on here.

Wild E. Coyote said:
Wild E. Coyote said:

Trying to liven up the thread. Anyone knows answer to any of the questions?

Thanks in advance, as always

our LMS180 inlet has trumpets so is longer than 23cm. low end is not compromised at all full torque at 2600 rpm 140lbfp power comes in at 3600rpm on one off our inlet and cammed motors.

lightning motorsport said:
our LMS180 inlet has trumpets so is longer than 23cm. low end is not compromised at all full torque at 2600 rpm 140lbfp power comes in at 3600rpm on one off our inlet and cammed motors.

I assume this was a typo? 6300 rpm sounds to me more like it?

How would you asses those figures using FRP cams and FRP map?

Thanks in advance

Back