jackos 4x4 project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
conversions in order;

independant rear suspension and diff cradle
2.5 litre mondeo v6 with mtx gearbox minus 4x4 transfer box
transfer box and propshaft, bolt on rear diff

= 4x4 200bhp v6 power

reckon with some tweeking i could see 220-250bhp (dont want more than 250 or ill be destroying transfer boxes!!!)

quaife sequential shafts built into mtx gearbox, quaife rear diff

serious weightloss using lots of ali, titanium and carbon!!!

this is a very long term and expensive project....taking my time!

oh god yeah!!! shes my 'shed', my man 'cave' etc...shes my hobby. shes also worth naff all so id never sell her!!!! not after all the time and money iv put in!!! so may as well take my time and do a damn good job :)

then start on a vw camper van (1960s vintage) as my 'family' car! but with prob a porsche engine, irs rear, discs all round, porsche alloys, modern steering etc and a handbuilt interior

LOL Jacko, i did tell you it was complicated in there!! Did I send you the rs2000 4x4 supplement??

Youll also understand from the fine tolerances why the oil lubrication needs careful looking at for your high power plans. IMO you need forced lubrication and oil cooling but i think you already knew that!! Even on a much bigger box like mine with extra power and torque than standard they generate a lot more heat.

yep, def a pump and oil cooler for the transfer box, was hoping to link all 3 but they run different oils. not going mad on power anyway cos thats what the aston v8 vantage will be for...when the prices have stopped dropping...another 3 grand in as many months!!! wahoo!!!

not sure where to mount the cooler tho....not much room for plumbing around the engine bay but will have room next to rad (using a thicker alloy unit but its shorter)
or
plumb it inside car along the fuel and brake lines under the carpet etc and have a cooler and fan under boot...opposite side to silencer...plenty of room, bit of ducting....?

oooo or i could put a fake silencer on that side and hide things in it!!! james bond style!!!

Stick it behind the ducts on each bumper side. You can use them to duct air in or exhaust air out. engine cooler behind one, transfer box cooler behind another. Youd probably get a gearbox and transfer box seperate coolers in the same space of a large engine oil cooler as you dont need so much cooling.

prob not tbh...but i have heard of the transfer boxes being safe upto 300! if you know what your doing...i dont..yet..!

warren; passenger side vent is cold air feed, drivers was gonna be engine oil cooler but if i mount rad to one side can mount another cooler vertically next to it

cant wait to be driving it....drop the clutch and feel the 'shove' from the back end rather than the 'pull' from the front end...felt really nice when i drove the donor car.

Latest posts

Back