Jeff Wayne's War of the worlds

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumadaddy

We went to see this at Sheffield Arena the other day. It's about 30 years since the record was released.

I have listened to this since I was a lad. I bought the reccord( yes one of those big black things) when I was 12, so I've been listening to this on and off for nearly 30 years now, although I listen to the CD these days.

We booked for this earlier this year and thought it would have something to live up to considering the quality of the original recording.

Well, it did live up to our expectations and exceed them.

The production is in a sort of rock opera style. The orchestra and the 'rock band' sit at opposite ends of the stage and Jeff himself conducts all from the middle.

The screen behind has images displayed on it that are enhanced from the original artwork and also some new ones that are done in a similar style.

The stage is taken over by a tripod at one point and the heatray is 'deployed' around the audience.

Richard Burton is brought back to life specially for the occasion in a holographic format. When he 'performs' his parts the side of the stage is lit up with his face and his voise is heard. By some electronic/ computer generated effects he is seen to speak his words.

Justin Hayward performs his old parts well, but looks quite the 'elder statesman' these days. Other people's parts have not been filled by their original performers, i.e David Essex and Julie Covington, but their replacements are equally skilled.

We bought a programme which is very plush and has lots of background info, which cost £15. My surprised reply of 'I only want one' wasn't appreciated, but it is a very nice keepsake.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed it and can recomend it.

I too have been listening ince being a lad, have it on CD now too. gets a regular play, just got the live stage show on DVD and not had chance to watch it yet.

Back