Jimmer's Silver Beastie

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anywho, fairly small update for now.

Progress with the car has been largely non existant over the past little while, working away a hell of a lot, but there has been a little bit of news.

Sent my wheels away for straightening @ £40 per wheel at Turriff Tyres, and they are pretty much perfect, there's still a little vibration under braking but I think I've sussed it now. More on that later. The guys at the wheel shop found that one wheel was way off and the rest had normal wear, they said most wheels on the road aren't totally straight, so the car went back on her old wheels while, they cracked on with them.

P090810_11250001.jpg

Went away with work again so picked the wheels up 2 weeks later. I was really impressed not a mark on them, which was a relief considering the recent refurb, but they were mega busy so couldn't fit them, so I bundled them into the back of the car and headed home. This did offer me the opportunity to have them gleaming when they go back on the car though. They got hosed down, soaped up, scrubbed then waxed and looked like this....

P280810_12300001.jpg

P280810_12290001.jpg

....not bad eh! I also sprayed the centre caps with a black and silver mix so that they match the wheels until I get new gels but in my wisdom forgot to take a picture with them on the car, I was too keen to get out and drive. Headed out on a test drive and everything felt miles better but there was still a little vibration under braking, spun the wheels again after I got home and all is well. I've since done some reading and I've found that these symtoms could be related to worn bushes.

With this in mind and the MOT at the end of the month the car is gonna be treated to a full set of fresh bushes and new drop links as they're looking a bit tatty, gonna stick to standard as the car is firm enough as it is. Also got some new carbon gels from DMB on order so hopefully they'll last a little longer than the last lot! Still working down south at the moment though so it will all have to wait untill MOT time, for now though here's my current commuter.......

P180810_10150001.jpg

Cheers all!

Wahay- £40 a rim, thats awesome value for money.

And I love the 2nd mode of transport- Hovercraft's are awesome!!!

Sparx said:
AceParts are where i got mine from, only problem is i've had two sets now and the casing seems to eventually fall off, the set i have now i had fitted in February and already i've lost one. Dont know if anyone else has had this problem?

Yes, this happened to one of mine and I blamed kids for trying to pinch it thinking the lens snapped off when they tried to remove it. Got some new ones from Ford Fair and it showed how much the ones from Aceparts had faded & discoloured, they were yellowy cream compared to the new clear ones I got.

Yeah it's not bad Scotty, better than new rims!

This Hover is a bag of s**t, 1976 tiger 12, spends more time broken down than working and its a rattly bugger! Does have a 5.7 Chrysler V8 in it though so it sounds awesome and spilts flames on the overrun.

You wouldn't be interested in a full Ford Puma leather interior in black - w/front and rear door cards instead of the frp one mate?

DAN-HN said:
You wouldn't be interested in a full Ford Puma leather interior in black - w/front and rear door cards instead of the frp one mate?

Nah, if I change the seats I'm looking for ones that are more supportive than the standards offer in leather or fabric. Cheers anyway though.

Good news! Car passed MOT with what would appear to be no problems whatsoever! The only bummer is I've got to wait till Monday to collect the car as I'm still at work and the garage isn't open this weekend.

Asked the garage to give the car a full check over along with the service as well so I can plan my future maintenance, so it will be interesting to see what's on their list.

Bring on Monday

Appologies all for the lack of updates! Bad me! :oops:

The winter weather has taken a big toll on the car, the judder and knocking that I was suffering under braking got progressively worse, more and more knocks and rattles seem to be creeping in and the dreaded tin worm has been working away at my arches and many other places! Further to this I've not been able to do much work myself as I moved into my own flat, with no off-street parking, in October.

The knocking and most of the judder has been rectified some new rear beam bushes, this also helped the ride comfort a fair bit, and set me back just over £100 all in. However there is still a bit of judder which could be that my front discs weren't seated properly when fitted.

As for the knocks and rattles, I think the drop links are tired so I've just bought fresh ones but I think I can hear a new knock from the rear. I find this strange though as it has recently had new bushes and the top mounts were done with the suspension less than a year ago, answers on a postcard! I've also accumulated a number of interior rattles and buzzes which are the likely cause of the horrid road conditions up here, pothole central!

The rust has been eating away at the rear arches, small bubbles at the top and uglier looking stuff on the leading edge, it's also been at it along the sills, round bits of the door frame and I've not yet looked underneath (through fear!). This is even with the car being washed once a week in rain, snow or hail!

On the up side I have no intentions of parting with the car, I've had some epic drives in it over the winter and all of my plans for mods and improvements still stand. The car is handling superbly as the tyres have worn in nicely and there is bags of grip!

I've got a week off at the end of Feb, so I'll be fitting my drop links and Connects2 ipod kit and generally inspecting the car for what needs doing. I hope to get the car into the bodyshop in the spring so I can get it mint! I've got some photos, I'll get them up soon.

I've also got some work on the lady friend's black puma planned soon, it's in the garage at the moment due to the PAS pipes being made of dust! I'll keep you posted on developments!

Greg

As promised, some photos, plenty more on my phone yet to come!

Summer 2010 and the Puma was the mountain bike team fuel stop!
P1010127.jpg

Some photos from a while back when I did the brakes and suspension
P1010120.jpg

P1010119.jpg

P1010118.jpg

Drove to here in November, awesome!
PB070485.jpg

And took these
PB070452.jpg

PB070451.jpg

PB070448.jpg

PB070449.jpg

PB070450.jpg

More interesting content to come soon! (Maybe)

Cheers!

Howdy y'all!

Poor show from me on the update front lately but by the looks of the site I'm not the only one!

Nothing much new with the car cosmetically since my last update but I have painted the numbers on the gearstick in panther black, fitted my pedals and re-undersealed the whole car. I also got myself a connects2 kit and a cradle to supplement my super dooper tape deck!

Got up to a little bit more mechanically, fitted a K&N panel filter and some Jacko specials, a flowed MAF and TB. These three things on the inlet side definitely make things feel a little sharper and give the car a bit more of a snarl at higher revs. I've also been improing my brakes and have fitted Fiesta ST150 brakes with EBC discs and Mintex M1144. What a difference, better bite and far less fade! I also fitted new drop links as the old ones were shagged.

I was on holiday in sunny florida for a few weeks recently so I left my car at the garage for some TLC as I'd got behind on a few things. It returned with new front bushes, braided hoses, new brake pipes, fresh coolant and brake fluid and brand spanking new top mounts. Lesson learned here, do not buy cheap bushes or mounts, I fitted those mounts a year ago and they were already totally nakered!

Drives like a dream now!

Been recording my average fuel economy over the last few months as a bit of an experiment and I'm rather pleased. I'm getting a steady 32 mpg despite all the hard driving the car gets and living in a city centre.

Bodywork wise the rust spots that I found haven't developed and with other things planned for this year I'm going to leave things as they are and then dump the car in the body shop next summer for a more intensive workout!

The next plans are to fit a cold air feed to the airbox, touch up some stone chips, pick and exhaust system, change the cambelt and oh yeah, how could I forget, fit the FRP cams that I procured! A question on this though, can I fit the cams as a stand alone mod and then get the car remapped at my convenience after I also have my exhaust etc or would it need to be done immediately due to the advanced timing on one of the cams (which one is it again?)?

Answers on a postcard!

Anywho........more photos!
P1010144.jpg

P1010145.jpg

P1010148.jpg

P1010149.jpg

P1010154.jpg

P1010157.jpg

P1010156.jpg

P1010159.jpg

P1010182.jpg

My tidy workspace
P1010184.jpg

P1010185.jpg

P1010171.jpg

Cleaned the Mrs' car as well......mmmmmm shiney!
P1010200.jpg

P1010199.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

P1010201.jpg

And mine
IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

And some location shots
P1010198.jpg

P1010197.jpg

P1010195.jpg

P1010194.jpg

P1010191.jpg

P1010190.jpg

P1010188.jpg

P1010192.jpg

P1010193.jpg

Until next time....tata!

Any comments, answers or tips welcome!

Very nice. How clean are both your cars? :cool: Yours must be one of the very last as well on a 52 plate.
Is that SPAX VSX suspension? Whats it like for "enthusiastic" driving? I'm looking for no compromise track suspension (on a budget!) and the VSX stuff is well priced, just not sure it will be up to the job.

The next plans are to fit a cold air feed to the airbox, touch up some stone chips, pick and exhaust system, change the cambelt and oh yeah, how could I forget, fit the FRP cams that I procured! A question on this though, can I fit the cams as a stand alone mod and then get the car remapped at my convenience after I also have my exhaust etc or would it need to be done immediately due to the advanced timing on one of the cams (which one is it again?)?

Yes you can fit the cams as a stand alone mod and get the car remapped and exhaust changed in the future. I did that on my car, note get cam belt changed at the same time :wink:

I also did aux and waterpump.

Just make sure when you get the cams fitted that they have

1.Experience with setting up FRP cams i.e fitted them successfully before
2.Make sure they have the genuine FRP timing tool as there are numerous debates about copies being different from the original tool

:eek:k:

Latest posts

Back