Just Putting the Feelers Out (So to Speak!)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikB23

Due to a change in circumstances I'm looking at possibly selling my beloved Puma ( :-( ). I need to decide if it's worthwhile though as I really don't want to part company with it. It's a 1997 1.7 and as you can see it's Moondust Silver on Prop's (still the best combo' in my honest opinion). It's done 95K and has been well looked after throughout it's life with a nice fat folder of receipts.

It's pretty much standard though it has got a K & N 57i kit (with heat shield) and an MSD coil pack with uprated silicone leads. It's pretty tidy, as you can see from the pics, but has a few scuffs and scratches (it is 15 years old now!). There's not much sign of rust anywhere and the arches are very good with only a couple of tiny bubbles starting to show. It has 4 good tyres, a fairly new exhaust and has just had an oil change. It's got 10 months MOT (went through with no advisories in Feb) and only needed the handbrake tightening in it's pre-test inspection.

There's no major negatives. It's had one cambelt change but that was 5 years ago so whether it needs doing again is a matter for debate! I personally decided against it as it runs like a dream and I couldn't justify the cost involved. It currently has the ABS and TC lights on but but I suspect that will be sorted if and when I decide to sell it. Other than that the elctrics are all good with the only gremlin being an occasional warning light that the water bottle is empty, even when it's not. Another thing worth mentioning is that it's currently running an aftermarket HID set up.

It also comes with a nice Sony Gigapanel Stereo and upgraded Kappa Infinity speakers in the front doors. Not sure if the backs have been done too but is sounds pretty nice anyway. The interior's good with no rips, tears or burns but the seats would probably benefit from a shampoo!

What do people think it's worth, and more to the point, if I was going to sell it would anyone on here be interested? I'm guessing I could get £6-700 for it (but if I'm wrong maybe people could put me right!)

Cheers, Mik.

255676_10150317930821124_529006123_9881833_4656027_n.jpg

252426_10150317931446124_529006123_9881838_5507310_n.jpg

252106_10150317931496124_529006123_9881839_6906060_n.jpg

249901_10150317931381124_529006123_9881837_4213146_n.jpg

It looks like a reasonable price range for it based on the pics and info supplied, however there doent seem to be any shortage of pumas for sale and very many seem to remain unsold for long periods.

Also I have seen one or two later ones go for less but its hard to compare if you havent examined any of them

Good luck with it

My mum has just sold her Moondust silver Y reg puma with 60k on the clock for £1000 if this helps. Hers was in similar condition and she hadn't made any modifications to it.

Btw cambelt change interval isn't really a matter of debate, it is set by Ford, if you choose to ignore that's up to you, but it will affect your service history as technically it's due.

What mileage?

crystalpuma said:
Btw cambelt change interval isn't really a matter of debate, it is set by Ford, if you choose to ignore that's up to you, but it will affect your service history as technically it's due.

What mileage?

I agree in principal but the thing is you're talking about a £600 car. Of course, if Ford say it should be done every 5 years, then it probably should. If the cambelt was due on my Volvo I'd have it done, but then that's a £6k car, not a £600 one. The question you have to ask is "Is it worth it?". I'm not a mechanic and to have the cam belt/water pump/tensioner + whatever replaced is going to hit me for the best part of the value of the car. If I leave it and the cambelt snaps (which is pretty unlikely) then I break the car or sell it as scrap or spares/repairs for £250 (ish).

I'm not debating whether the cambelt is due to be changed according to Fords recommendations. I'm asking whether it's really worth the cost? I've seen people post on here with 10 year old, 100k Pumas who've never had the belt changed and they're still going strong. Just because mine was done 5 years ago it's not set on a timer that means it snaps at 5 years + one day!

Personally, if I keep the car (which is now looking likely) I'll take my chances with it. It'll cost me more to replace it than the money I'll lose if it snaps so it's a no-brainer to me. I'd bet on the car going on to the end of it's natural life now without need for a belt change but I've probably just shot myself square in the foot by saying that!

Mileage is 95k by the way.

This car is now officially for sale if anyone is interested. Mileage is now 98k. The car has developed a minior rattle on the back left corner which may require some attention. Also, the exhaust dropped off the rubbers and burnt a section of the rear ABS wiring loom so the ABS light and T/C lights are on. The exhaust has been rehung with new rubbers and I've purchased a brand new rear wiring loom (with sensors) but this has not been fitted yet. I've spoken to Richard at Tremona Garage and he's quoted me an hours labour to fit it and I'll try and get this done prior to anyone purchasing the car. If not I'll knock £50 off the asking price to cover the labour of having it fitted.

I'd like to get £550 for it with the wiring loom repaired but I'd take £495 for it as it is (obviously with the new loom included for the new owner to fit)

Looks like a good price for the car to me, glad you're quite far away else I'd probably have been round for a look!

I think its a fair price. It's not perfect but it's pretty tidy and has been 100% reliable over the last 12 months and 18,000 miles. With a bit of TLC it could be a really nice car.

Latest posts

Back