Just saying hello, and quick question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick

Hello,

Just had a test drive today in a 02 puma, only worry is the brakes, they are not as keen as on my 07 vw fox,garage said they would look at anything i mentioned,is this a problem with the puma?
Thanks in advance..

madhillbilly17 said:
welcome,yeah puma brakes are rubbish

Hi nick

As madhillbilly says, they are total poo!
I found they were especially bad when they got hot after long/hard braking. Then they would just fade away into the distance!!

It wasn't until I upgraded my brakes that I realised how totally pointless the old ones were!

I never noticed mine being rubbish when I had my Puma from new, but I was worried about them in Lauren's car, so I checked them over and they were fine, so I guess things have just moved on...

I did find the brakes on my Skoda Octavia fearsome when I got it after the Puma.

M.

An 02 Puma will have the larger discs, but they still aren't spectacular under hard use. A popular upgrade is to Focus ST170 discs and calipers. A quick search should help you out.

Thanks for that.
Just waiting for my reg to be swapped over to the puma now :grin:

02 66000 miles, cam belt done 4 years ago, yes a full documented history all bills and receipts, can not wait...

VW fox going in trader at the weekend...

nick

I used EBC green stuff pads on my prev (99) plate Puma with standard discs and they worked like a dream :cool: cheaper fix than bigger discs.....

Had the car since tuesday night, very pleased, great drivers car. it even feels fast at 30 miles/hour...
so if you see me around give us a wave, black, Leeds :grin:

To be fair it has been tested that the puma brakes can apply the same amount of braking force as other cars that appear to have better brakes. It's just that the Puma servo isn't especially "enthusiastic" so you do need to press the pedal harder. But in saying that you will get a better feel for the brakes as it's not as binary as some more modern brakes.

Hi Nick, welcome and well done for buying the coolest little coupe on the market, i spend alot of time in Leeds, my puma is also black if u see some weirdo waving at ya..........its only me lol :lol:

Back