Late model brakes on early model Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lb81

I have a brand new set of discs / pads and used calipers from a late model Puma. My car is a 99 early model Puma with the smaller Discs...

To swap over to the slightly larger late model brakes can i get away with just changing the calipers / carriers or am i going to need the hubs as well? To my eye the hubs look identical its just the calipers that are visually a bit bigger.

I also notice that the master cylinder on the later model is slightly different. Am i going to have issues with brake pressure if i dont also change the master cylinder?

It may seem strange to even bother but my brakes need total overhaul and i am getting all the stuff for free so just trying to decide if its worth the added bother.

I was also thinking that i might then have a bit too much forward bias and need to upgrade the rears to the larger drums but if i am going to do that i may as well do the full conversion to discs?

Has anyone tried this at all?

Hi
As far as I know the mechanical bits are a straight swap over and the ABS should sort our any front/rear bias problems.
Barry

Cheers Ian for backing me up. I was going to PM you last week, did you know it was the GBS open day on Saturday?
Barry

Excellent news cheers for that fellas! If it will all just swap over then i will refurb and paint up the larger calipers before fitting as well! :)

Sos to hear that Ian. The machining shop is getting bigger by the day. I spoke to Richard at length about the shocks they make and they look the business but they are also making throttle bodies now. It's good to see that a small firm can be brave enough to to grow like they are doing.
Barry

Bit more advice if i may guys..

Re the rears, i need to sort the rear bearings for the mot next week which from a cost perspective has taken me back to whipping off the whole larger rear drum / bearing assembly from the doner car as they are in fair nick and bearings are sound. Obviously i need the whole thing including backing plate, cylinder etc but i am guessing stud axles are also of differing lengths? The smaller drum on my car is noticeably deeper than the larger drum so not sure if im going to have any other issues? I assume the abs ring is the same size...? Any help or opinion would be appreciated :)

Cheeky little update on this...

Full conversion is complete. Useful info for anyone searching for this in the future:

*Everything is a straight swap and just bolts on
*The rears are slightly more tricky. The backing plate for the drum is riveted on to the beam as well as bolted so needs to be pried off but it WILL come off...
*VERY IMPORTANT the rear ABS sensor's are almost impossible to get out of the drum backing plate without breaking them, so either be prepared to replace them or spend a long time swearing at them... and probably breaking them anyway… getting the ABS to work again after changing them can also be tricky. Make sure the sensor is seated properly and the cable is routed correctly to avoid bending or fowling on the beam or bracket…
*If at all possible (and if I did it again) I would recommend just changing the whole beam with the late drums already attached, you can also sort the beam bushes and refurb the beam at the same time…

Side by side comparison of the fronts... :)

20140712_150638.jpg

ATP ABS WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, REAR AXLE WIDTH FOR FORD FIESTA BOX 98-03 PUMA 98-03
15-07-2022 Ebay (9 left today) (ATP spares). £15.46 inc. VAT/postage all the way from Germany BARGAIN!
These are tricky things to replace as the fixing bolts rust into the hub flange, causing a headache to change, both rear hubs are likely to be the same :-(
I noticed people on here saying the cable set costs up to £70 at least but there are some direct from Germany for peanuts right now, so if like me you need to do a rear beam drop for bushes etc. this item might end up being needed? OR YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE REAR SENSORS
Anyway thought I would point this out, as this could be new old stock being sold off cheap?????

LINK:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/373735643327?hash=item57046158bf:g:axcAAOSwB4xgx7Iy&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABAB8%2B9RzT%2Fiie5YpDJoxbF5cXTA%2FIWY0MeTG0sYZ6wwHd7wRO2ahD%2BNK3JLtJRcFABaP4jwud0BhL8%2FrJ14q0GYzBd1aTBSi4sr7ojZtUz5kg6N5IZJIqQHDOtOb1PyjIyrUCTKEBhg9qCHFohJXoUjo7dInvtat1cn0E23pjo4ENtAfAmMRWeR6126vdMvtJH7is8Oc0kjifa%2BsuS1zM6ejo5gbCzOlImo4pfoWLeqFL6L6ObZi0rp9Kg8nrovUGaZIGwIT1wFFoC%2Bb7RYVoyZrRAorT81Y9u%2FGjOb5rZwhftfV%2FSTHwGeg%2FEyfAph4NrkvoSTctNjxyBPwN9pCjcTg%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM1KaFosBg#SHIPPING_SECTION_MODULE

Hi.
I have just bought myself a complete set. Front and rear. Not that I need them, at £35 including delivery its a no brainer. I am stockpiling spares as and when I find them if they are either cheap and good value for money of getting rare and difficult to find. No doubt soon all this sort of stuff will be hard to get. I can imagine doing a job an the car and then needing parts like these and not being able to get hold of them. I bought a set of rear tailgate struts from germany a couple of years ago for about £30 inc. delivery. Perhaps Germany is a place to start sourcing spares. Just before the first lock down I had tracked down genuine new Ford door weatherband strips I should have bought them then and there. Six months later they had all gone.

Regards, Richard.

Saves going on the EBay Germany website:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373735643327?hash=item57046158bf:g:axcAAOSwB4xgx7Iy&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABEB8%2B9RzT%2Fiie5YpDJoxbF5cXTA%2FIWY0MeTG0sYZ6wwHd7wRO2ahD%2BNK3JLtJRcFABaP4jwud0BhL8%2FrJ14q0GYzBd1aTBSi4sr7ojZtUz5kg6N5IZJIqQHDOtOb1PyjIykI0yfb4v34bL0mvPrpJe2Q%2F8Y0nw%2FCGNkRSwkch6QZfDSKzHAl%2F0O%2BH9K1jsI9b8%2FpWBznZrjSQO73E5lzPHpwjCyjh1iH23FkbPbl5bpQAk6ML6Y5UCNFopp5MPHSoBkr40zGWdAXt94%2Fup2ko8ydwfQjRcheT0cpFrydMkrh6BBJRcpQtG9rFNOxc50t919dvvMtt8tw3Z3KNBARe5g0lAgoLjwWnUS8anGbI8jrn%7Ctkp%3ABFBM5MHR8sBg

Back