LED 'bulbs' replacing the dim candles

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
Thought it was about time to replace the 5W bulbs in my headlights as they were getting a bit dim:

[albumimg]612[/albumimg]

So I bought some LED ones and fitted them in:

[albumimg]613[/albumimg]

Left is LED, right is bulb for direct comparison:

[albumimg]614[/albumimg]

LED in both and a bit later so it was darker:

[albumimg]615[/albumimg]

Not going to make any difference at all for actually lighting my way, but hopefully oncoming traffic at junctions, turnings etc. may see me a bit better when I'm driving about on just these during a dim day. Worth the £8.30 for 2 pairs delivered from Hong Kong. Cherie's Millie has them as well now.

lbt10wg1ww.jpg

Ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-25mm-168-194-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... m153.l1262

It's a bit fiddly getting the little bulb out. Take the indicator bulb and the HB3 main headlight bulb out their sockets to be able to get your fingers down to get it out.
(Have picture - will upload tonight)

I used long nosed pliers to get mine out.

The LEDS are very bright- I have exactly the same in my side repeaters and no. plate lights- but 2 have blown in the space of a month :-(

We'll just have to wait and see how well they last I think.

Remember that LEDs have polarity unlike normal bulbs, so try the lamp before securing the light assembly back in the car only to have to take it all out again if it doesn't work.
Just turn it round if it doesn't work.

:eek:k:

Look miles better! I looked briefly at the difficulty in replacing the bulbs on a puma-looks like a hell of a job thanks to the things blocking the entrance to the lights from under the bonnet! Am I wrong...??

Nah it's pretty easy... take the front grill off, unscrew the headlight, twist the retaining lock and pull the headlight out.. un-attaching the cable and drain tube. :)

5 mins for grille and both headlights.

[albumimg]616[/albumimg]

Easy peasy after that to get to the back of the light.

ha cool picture ^ I had Philips Bluevisions fitted to my Ibiza and the light was scattered all over the place (horrific on a pitch black night) :hide:

chris3boro said:
ha cool picture ^ I had Philips Bluevisions fitted to my Ibiza and the light was scattered all over the place (horrific on a pitch black night) :hide:

Quite possible the bulb wasn't properly seated in the headlight unit...

BOK said:
Quite possible the bulb wasn't properly seated in the headlight unit...

Yeh must have been the case, I remember one trip on the moores in pitch black, with the tight bends. I was basically blind whilst turning until the car was facing exactly the way the road went. Pretty scarey!

cool, 2 things tho...

1) if they stop working u might find that the wire across the pastic thats used for connection isnt connecting to the plug anymore, with mine instead of leaving the wire straight i bent it at 45 degrees to ensure it crossed both parts of the connector (inside the plug theres 2 brass wires for pos, 2 for neg

2) the heat from the main beam killed mine within a month..... so if anyones got one thats lasted ages let me know which make they are cos iv had to go back to ordinary ulbs for now...

Yes the 10%-50% brighter white halfords ones are pretty good along with the super bright phillips :)

deffo going to get some- probs try halfords for ease rtaher than internet shopping- always end up having to collect goods two days later at local PO depot i

Wait until Hellfrauds have a 2-for-1 offer on bulbs and save yourself £20.

The 'super brillance' hellfrauds own have won autocar tests before. Cherie's millie and mine both have them and they are well worth it.

Back