LED tailights

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ordered what I think is the correct stuff. If not ill try your way. I haven't actually got a dremmel. I know theyre one of those standard bits of kit everyone has too.

Maybe you should try and make a set of these...

43385782991_0e65d585b2_c.jpg

Don't suppose you got any left? Ive got the indicator relay in and working. Works a treat the one with the little adjustable wheel on it.

That's good about the relay... progress is being made!

Never had any spare sets as each pair was custom made.

Ah thats a shame they look really good. Ive finished the back lights on mine now. Ill take a picture later when it goes dark. If i get get the other side repeater done later i might take it to work tonight, its not moved in 2 weeks with all this messing.

Side repeaters done. Had a go at fitting front speakers but they're ever so slightly too big. Because nothing can go right first time on this car :roll:

They did come with adapters however so i can fit them in the back i think.

So little update here. I haven't been on here very much the last couple of months, had a bit of a personal catastrophe in my life.

Anyhow, the bulbs i got from ebay just kept failing, so i got some Osram ones instead. They seem perfect so far. They're like a corn cob design similar to the ebay ones but hopefully a bit better built. This is the rear tail lights:

DSC_2810 by Matthew Melia, on Flickr

The side repeaters were also really poor so i got some osram ones to replace them and they seem as bright as standard bulbs, so im really happy with this.

The next step was the front sidelights, the standard ones were pretty yellow, you can see the difference here straight away, im made up with them.

DSC_2808 by Matthew Melia, on Flickr

DSC_2809 by Matthew Melia, on Flickr

Next up i need to do the front repeaters, the rear number plate lights, then its just the dipped and main beam, but that seems like a no-go area? I want to be fully LED so i never have to worry about changing a bulb again.

Also, this fell out the bottom of the car when i was putting the lights back in, what is it?

DSC_2811 by Matthew Melia, on Flickr

Those front side lights look awesome!

I love LEDs, the colour is much nicer and cleaner than standard filament bulbs.

That piece of plastic... I think its off the headlight. If my memory serves me correctly, there is something on the headlight that slides and locks the light in and I'm sure it looked like the part you have there.

So its not that big of a deal then? They seem secure, bolt bolts went back in. Yeah the difference is massive, in colour and light output.

If I understand correctly the rear tail/brake lights are a direct replacement with a led bulb? Because the same bulb serves both as a tail and brake light?

For the reverse lights you just have to swap the +/- wires going to the plug.

For the repeaters you have to reverse the +/- of the wire and put an indicator relay? Where does that go? I'm a bit worthless with electrics so any help appreciated.

I cant remember which ones in the back you have to swap but i think its the indicator and reverse lights yeah. The indicator relay is under the steering wheel, i bought an adjustable one from ebay with a little wheel on it, you can turn it to increase resistance to slow down fast flashing.

So i just noticed i have a brake light out. One of the osram ones. The tail light is working just not the stop light. I thought these LED#s were supposed to last forever? Is there something to do with too much voltage going to it i havent compensated for?

LEDs may be long life but they are only as good as the quality in which they've been manufactured. Not quite the same but I have LED bulbs in the kitchen and one of them went pop after less than 6 months.

Yeah i thought that when i bought the cheap ones off ebay, hence why i went for the osrams. I have ordered some new ones, if these go ill try the philips ones, they're even more expensive though.

Depending on how long you've had them you might find they would replace it?
They certainly sent me a new one for my kitchen light anyway.

I checked on amazon and the return window closed in Jan. I only bought them in November. Doesn't seem right to me?

Sounds like you might need to contact them, I expect the standard return closing is for unwanted exchanges etc.

Does anyone know if you have to swap the polarity of the wires for the front indicators if your putting LED bulbs in? Currently in process of tidying up the headlights following the late BOK's guide.

Latest posts

Back