LED tailights

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about this, its adjustable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PureTek-CF13-3-Pin-Adjustable-LED-Flasher-Relay-Car-Turn-Signal-Indicator/272345319953?epid=17021133835&hash=item3f690bca11:g:pKgAAOSwueJbTcSn

Fitted the stop/tail light. So far seems OK, braking doesn't make the side lights come on or anything. There was a slight puff of smoke and a faint smell when they first come on, assuming its just a bit of excess solder :|

Does the reduced voltage make any difference to how the car runs, better fuel economy etc?

Indicators are next, can only do things bit by bit or missus will kill me.

Well that didn't last long. Went out to check them in the dark and the left one is garbage, only every 4th LED is on. Contacted seller to see if they will send a new one. Shame as the other one looks great.

DradusContact said:
Went out to check them in the dark and the left one is garbage, only every 4th LED is on.

That was probably that burning smell!

To be honest I don't think you'd get better fuel economy from changing the bulbs. If it did improve it I doubt you'd actually notice it.

I always thought the alternator was always spinning so the load on the engine is always the same, but my dad always says having your heated screen on etc draws more power and hence uses more fuel.

I've just changed all my tail lights over to LED. I've used OSRAM LED's rather then using the useral "Chinese" LED's. I know it's more of an expensive outlay using those bulbs. But I figured it'll pay off in the long run because the life expectancy isn't great on the Chinese LED's I have found.
I did have to get a flasher relay and swap the wires over to make the indicator and reverse lights to work. I did also use red and amber bulbs for the indicator and stop and tail light. So they do give off a nice yellow and red light :grin:
I'm quite impressed with how they look :grin:

Replacement brake light bulb is on way. These are what i'm looking at next:

http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/hb3-9005-cree-led/hb3-9005-reflective-cone-led-45w

Looks ok and from a legit seller, so may take a chance....

I wouldn't go for those LED headlight bulbs or any LED headlight bulb that has loads of LED's on them.
If you want to see why go on youtube and search for headlight revolution. They have tested loads of headlight LED's and the ones to go for are the ones that mimic the original halogen element position.
Also headlight LED's is still relatively new technology so a HID set up is still the way to go. But both have advantages and disadvantages. But its up to you to decide what you want to go for. Just do some research and look and see what is best. In this day and age there is alot bullcrap that makes awesome claims but its just all a marketing ploy.

I've managed to take some pics of one of the tail lights. Excuse the quality of the photos.

Reverse (6000k rating)

Sidelight

All three

White led dash with blue LCD

Well i tried the side repeaters. Had to jack car up and take arch liner out slightly. Got old stuff out including about 1kg of mud :eek: No wonder they rust with all that wet mud sat on the metal!

Anyway, the bulbs i got are less powerful than the light you used to get on timex watches, remember them?

Here is the standard bulb:

DSC_2516 by Matthew Melia, on Flickr

And the LED one. Yes, it is on!

DSC_2525 by Matthew Melia, on Flickr

The mud

DSC_2512 by Matthew Melia, on Flickr

Back to ebay....

Looks like a job well done.

I'm surprised the side repeater was so dim... you sure you got it in the right way.... :wink:

I'm liking the dash... can you link to what you got for that? I'm interested in the white.. personally not a fan of blue but that's just me!

The icing on the cake was, even if it had been ok the bulb was too long to fit back in :lol:

Here's a link for the bulbs in the dash

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T5-3-LED...hash=item1c9aef2efa:m:m7viBkUlZ9BwreNLcEUkvuQ

However I think I did have to make some modifications to the bulbs to get them to work. You need to remove one contact from each side of the bulb (highlighted red in the pic below). Not the same side though lol. And I think the bulb was slightly too small for the holder. So I used bits from another bulb i had to make the contacts wider. I'm not too sure of the proper size of the bulb.
T10 bulbs are too big i think?

But that's the bulb I bought. Good price on them and they are still going strong :grin:

Replacement reverse lights work! However indicator bulbs are offset pins and i needed opposite. Also indicator relay has got + and - wrong way round so thats wrong too. :roll:

DradusContact said:
Replacement brake light bulb is on way. These are what i'm looking at next:

http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/hb3-9005-cree-led/hb3-9005-reflective-cone-led-45w

Looks ok and from a legit seller, so may take a chance....
Report back if you do get these!

DradusContact said:
Replacement reverse lights work! However indicator bulbs are offset pins and i needed opposite. Also indicator relay has got + and - wrong way round so thats wrong too. :roll:

INDICATOR BULBS - Use a dremmel or something similar to remove/sand down one of the pins - I did it and it worked.

RELAY - Mine too was reversed but I'm pretty sure I unsoldered some wires inside or pushed the pins out and swapped them over.

Latest posts

Back