Linux (ubuntu) trial run....

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expatscot

Well, I have had various niggles with Microsoft and their attitude to users/consumers and have often thought about Linux as it should be lightning fast on this machine that is only moderately fast - due to the bloatware that is Vista.

I did run the 'RC' (release candidate) of Win 7 for a year - and I have to admit I did quite like that... much smaller footprint. But, obviously, the RC expired and reverted to Vista. This OS has a driver problem that effects network adapters which Microsoft say is ignorable (basically denying it is a problem) - but many thousands of people around the world cant be wrong. Although I finally sorted the driver 'snafu' it has turned me against M/S again.

Had a look at Ubuntu last night... version 10.10 looks great. Downloaded the ISO and have run it - booting from CD. It is fast (even running from CD) and has a sleek minimalist look, although I am sure it can be tweaked and added to in due course.

Next - probably later tonight - I will use 'wubi' to then install and run Ubuntu, sort of as though it was an application within Visa. So it can be easily deleted if I wish in same many as deleting any other program.

If still happy.... next step will be to set my laptop up to dual-boot and I can manually pick which OS I wish to run.

Anyone out there have any input, thoughts, anecdotes or random blurtings on the topic of Linux, Ubuntu in particular...?

I love Linux and Ubuntu is my favourite flavour.

Fedora also offers a great Home user experience supporting many of the common hardware drivers available.

This site runs on Ubuntu server, as does my home server.

If your looking for an OS with a small footprint, haiku, based on BeOS has new alpha2 version and is under 200MB. Had it running in VB for ages. Run great on netbooks (god I hate netbooks :-D ) or older machines.

There are loads of great applications for the Linux platform. The ONLY reason I stopped using it on my home laptop was because no matter how hard I tried with WINE or PlayOnLinux I couldn't get the SIMs 3 working for my Wife.

In the end I worked out that it was due to the Intel graphics chip set the laptop had which isn't well supported on the Linux platform. I.e. there was no proper drivers available.

Put it on Windows and the game worked properly first time. This freed up the home Desktop for me to play my games on :D

Well I have it installed on the D:Drive* at the moment via 'wubi' and that, essentially, is giving me a dual-boot option - so far so good.

I Will spend some time playing around with it.

*This is just the partition on my HD where the recovery files were originally, until I burnt them to recovery CDs - since then that area of drive has been empty.

Beware of windows service packs affecting you Ubuntu boot manager.
Had issues before with Kubuntu dualbooted with XP.

So far, so good.... am enjoying the look, and the swifter operation and less need for the fan to kick in.

Only possible glitch may (I repeat may) come in the form of drivers for some external hardware.. but on the basis of things so far I will slowly migrate all my docs, music etc to Linux and Vista will be left as a largely vacant shell which I use once in a blue moon for some activity that may need the windows touch.

Although I knew it anyway - this has given a stark illustration of just how bloated, slow and resource hungry Vista is... quite horrendous!

First time online via Ubuntu - am very impressed.....

Why have I waited sooooo long before actually trying this out. Why are so many people tied to Windows/Microsoft....?

Yes, I may have some trouble with hardware ahead, but there's a chance I may not. Liking this Linux lark a lot :D

The only reason that so many people are tied to Windows/Microsoft is traceability of support, which as we all know is excellent.
(excuse me while I extract the tongue from my cheek) :roll:

Back