loss of power no vct!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettie boo

hi guys i changed my water pump and aux belt today all went fine and the car runs fine except it looses power when it should be picking up! it drives fine up to 3000 rpm but after that where the vct should kick in and where the car goes it doesn't it just keeps going with no power gain like its forgot the vct! any ideas guys?

The only thing i can think of is disconnecting the battery for half an hour to reset ECU, but not sure if that will help.

Was it running OK before you changed the auxiliary belt and w/pump?

Are you sure you managed to get the water pump changed without disturbing the timing belt in front of it?

i had to take the belt off to do the pump but i put it all back but if anything the front row of cams could of moved ever so slitly but would a few mm of movement make it alm go pear shaped?

I'd say it looks that way unfortunately. The VCT cam works on a viscous type coupling so would be easy to move without you realising.

So now the hard bit! If i take it back apart and try to align the front cam, and if i get it right all should be good?

I doubt it would be as simple as that to be honest but might be worth a go. It's the two cams relationship to each other and the pistons which needs to be spot on.

(And there's no need to quote posts directly above by the way ;) )

sorry! lol so if i can't get it spot on myself! any ideas of what can do other than take it to a garage? cheers

If you can't get the timing right, then you might not have any other option but to take it to someone that knows what they're doing. Have a look >here< for some Puma friendly garages that should be able to do it that hopefully will be local to you.

just to update u all i've sorted the problem and i have my baby back :grin: had to redo it twice but got it spot on now! cheers for your help guys

Back