Lost key. Ecu swap.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reecey

Lost key other day. It was the only one I had that started he car. I’ve been reading up that a matching ecu and key to go with it can be bought and replaced directly with what there is now and that should do the trick to starting the car. I’ve got another key for the car but it only opens the doors. Anyone can help me out here by confirming or correcting that info?

Matching ecu and key to match the matching ecu should do it?

Thanks.

Why don't your existing key start the car...?
Looks like you may need to get another key cut from your existing one but make sure the new key can have a transponder chip put in it.

You don't even really need a key supplied with the replacement ECU as long as you get the small glass transponder chip with it, as the key won't unlock/lock your car anyway.

When you swap the ECU you can then put that ECUs transponder chip in your newly cut key - or the old one if it can take a transponder. This should then give you a working key for the doors with a transponder that will start the car.

* Make sure you get the correct ECU for your car. There were differences as older cars had single O2 sensor and newer ones had twin sensors.

The transponder in the key must match the ECU, unless you could also buy a barrel (and remove the old one which without the key is graft) then you're no further ahead.

Also as above - you need the correct ECU.

Thanks for the replies. Well the ecu say p051 which is a strange ecu because there’s not much information about them online but I did manage to get one with a matching key. It should come soon so I’ll give it a go see how things workout. If any problems I’ll message on here to see if anyone would be able to help out. Thanks a lot

From what I've read the P051 ECU was a replacement/dealer fit item for ECUs that went faulty. I had one fitted to my Thunder which was a 2002 model with twin Lambda.

The ecu come today and I plugged it in and put the key that come with it in the ignition but it won’t turn in the ignition. Do I have to get the key cut or is there something else to do? Or could it be that the ecu doesn’t go with my car? It seems weird

Of course you can't turn it as the lock is not meant for that key. You need another key cut for your lock and then transferring the transponder chip to that key, or, as other option, take the lock barrel out and recode it for the key you have. All the locks consist of metal 'leafs' inside which are arranged in such order to be adaptable to any key should a need arise.
This is not a Ford lock, but the principle is the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX2AH9-isPA

Back