Lowering?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkennosh

when i test drove my newly owned 1.7 Puma i thought it handled very well, just i dont like the standard "Ford sized gap betwen tyres and arches"

i know lowering has benefits, but on pumas with good handling anyway is there any point?

ta 8)

Mine's lowered as well as lots of people on here. It's often a compromise as it depends what you want from your car.

Positives:
1. As it lowers the centre of gravity, the car should corner a bit better as there will be less roll.
2. It does give the car a better look in my opinion.

Negatives:
1. Can make the ride a bit harder.
2. If using standard shocks with lowering springs, it may wear out the shocks faster than normal as the loading will be greater.

But there are as many opinions on lowering as there are lowing kits available. Maybe come along to a meet and have a ride in a few to compare ;)

Before even considering lowering, how do you find the ride? If you already find it very firm I wouldn't recommend you lower it. Nor would it be a good idea if you regularly drive down rough tracks or over very steep ramps or regularly carry 3 or more passengers etc...

These are both unavoidable changes to the car when you lower it, it's not just a visual modification.

Mine is lowered quite a bit on coilovers- I love the ride and handling personally :cool:

I think lowering a Puma gives it the look it should always have had. The gap in the rear arch is excessively big (anyone know why it's so big?) Has anybody got any pics of their puma lowered on JUST the Eibach springs?

I do, but I have 17's with them so not really relevant. Here's mine before I bought it with 17s and Eibach lowering springs:

puma2wlids.jpg

Here's a std wheeled pooma lowered about the same as an Eibach spring set:
15low15std17low17lowabit16low.jpg

Thread:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Std and 17 wheels on lowered car comparison:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=21896#21896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well when I bought mine at 7 years old, the shocks were buggered. I think the springs had been fitted from new. We're talking 10% faster or something, not drastically faster IMO.

chris3boro said:
I think lowering a Puma gives it the look it should always have had. The gap in the rear arch is excessively big (anyone know why it's so big?) Has anybody got any pics of their puma lowered on JUST the Eibach springs?

Its in the inside story. It was a compromise for comfort and price at the end of the day. They got alot of stick for it.

im thinking of lowering it becuase hate the gap ford gives the car between tyres and archs.....looks big enough to have kip between the archs. :-D

the car is only ever gonna have me in it 99% of teh time, but have a bit of a steep ramp at work. so may have to check i can get in and what the high restriction could be :-D

but agree the car look might better lowered :-D

Back