lumpy steering wheel?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henke_89

Hello! My steering wheel are getting a little lumpy now. Some leather are falling of on the sides. What to do? Can i paint it whit some leather paint? Or some other ideas? Someone that have the same problem?

It's a really common problem. The glue that holds the 'leather' to the steering wheel melts gradually with the heat from your hands, and starts seeping through the material.

You can clean the wheel using soapy water, then let it dry and put some leather conditioner on. It's not a permanent solution, but it should tidy it up. The only real solution is to replace the wheel. Ideally with a plain plastic one (from a fiesta) that doesn't have the 'leather' grips.

Mine had this when I bought it. As strange as it was, I used some window cleaning wipes all over the steering wheel and left it to dry. It was a little tacky after wiping but ever since has remained nice and smooth with no breaks/tears etc. I think something slightly alcohol based will remove the grime but make sure you treat the leather afterwards to prevent it damaging the leather more.

Failing that there's two options, a nasty steering wheel cover (!) or a replacement wheel like Cherie suggests

I decided to have a go with mine and results were pretty good... I'm left with a slight colour difference between the treated/non treated leather - hardly enough to notice and i'd rather have that than sticky fingers :p

First wash the wheel a good few times with a quality leather cleaner and let it seep, this softens the gunk.

Secondly get hold of a blunt object to remove the gunk and get scraping, this takes times to do it properly and mind your eyes, it goes everywhere :pinkeye: You'll begin to see the perforated holes in the leather appear once again as you make progress

Once your happy you've removed the gunk then last stage is a high quality leather treatment to remove the last of the sticky feeling.

Enjoy your non sticky/gunky/crap steering wheel :eek:k:

Thanks for all the answers mates! :) Nice to know that it´s not only me that have this problem. I will try whit soapy water and then leather conditioner and se what I come up whit. Otherwise I will buy a steering wheel cover :roll: Before I can aford a new one. Do any one know what diameter it is on the steering wheel? :)

I cleaned mine with Auto gly interior shampoo, came up nice and clean, then used sofa cleaning kit to treat leather. was a little tacky for a day or so but has set nice and hard, had no more problems. not found a way of making the leather look new again, I might replace my wheel at some point.

I noticed my wheel was sticky yesterdayand had an idea of using this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Cork-Handlebar-Tape-Wrap-2-Bar-Plug-White-/290581911733?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item43a80818b5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back