Max Widths: 15x...? et?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Hi all.
First of all I'm no stranger to modified cars but have little experience of the Pumas. I am planning on buying a Puma for track duties, and the combination of rusty arches & the desire for wide rubber has led to me considering bolt-on overfenders and wide wheels:

aerokit_over_fenders1-592x311.jpg

Now I've seen that XXR, whilst not being the best quality brand, offers some wheels in 15x8.25 et0. Now ordinarily on most cars, et0 means the wheels standing super proud (at least relative to where it normally does).

However, having done a bit of research, I dont think 15x8.25 et0 would merit over fenders would it?

The car will be lowered on coilovers, giving me both more clearance inboard to run wider wheels, and less clearance to run wider wheels because of the arches.

PS - Please dont let this descend into a debate of low offset wheels, failing wheel bearings & spacers etc.

Hello Jim. :)
It`s great to hear about another track project, good luck...

As for your question.

It`s a bad idea to upset the offset too far, on the front anyway.

As Ford designed it, when you steer, the wheel twists on its axis.
If you fit spacers/ low offset wheels, the steering turns the wheel in an arc.
and if it`s too much can wreck the steering. (understeer)

I have tried all sorts of combinations on track and 195/50/15`s work best. Just buy the best tyres available.

my puma targa rally car has pug 205/45/16 with et28 and also 195/50/15 et15 both seem good though have never done any side by side testing against original to quantify if there is an improvement

Latest posts

Back