Might be selling my Puma for a 300ZX

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

So I was thinking of getting a 1992 Nissan 300ZX Twinturbo with Targa roof. They're kinda expensive here in Finland, unlike in the UK (like 8500 GBP).. but nevertheless, I've always loved the looks and now there's one on sale nearby.

Might go do a test drive of the car tomorrow, and after that if all is well I'll probably buy it. My only worry is that it's going to be scary to drive a 300 bhp rear wheel drive car during the winter... :D

Now is your chance to try and convince me to not do it ;)

It's a big squidy car designed for Americans.

How's that?

I think it's absolutley hideous, but that's just me I guess. (It's the kind of shed my mate would buy for about £1500 and wonder why it needs loads of work, and then expires. Expensively).

Neil said:
It's a big squidy car designed for Americans.

How's that?

Nice try, though I have been wondering about that as I've heard it before :D Guess we'll find out!

I used too work on 300 zx's when I was a panel beater the twin turbo can be tuned to ridiculous amounts of power but are very heavy cars & if they break they are expensive to put right

benking said:
Id have one! Jumping from a 1.4 puma to a twin turbo rear wheel drive is a big leap

Heh, it is indeed. A 150bhp Fiesta ST is the most powerful thing I've driven so far.

ST fiesta isnt to disimilar to the puma except 0-60 and top speed. Go for it just be carefull lol. If you like them you gotta drive it and live with it. Insurance will be a bit different too, quite a lot i would of thought and excessive running costs :eek:k:

if you can put up with it being right hand drive why not come over to the UK, buy one cheap and drive it home? :) :D

It's a little bit different with a car but when I was on my way down south for the nurburgring trip I met a Finnish guy on a bike who was doing that. He had bought the bike that day, was heading for an evening ferry and staying somewhere in Belgium then riding to Finland the next morning :D

Saw the 300ZX today. Needs plates and a complete checkup to be sure it's in working condition. Guy doesn't seem to want to get rid of it very much.

On the other hand, I got a 2008 Seat Ibiza Cupra to test-drive for today from a Seat dealership. 1.8 liter turbocharged engine, 180 bhp, car weighs 1.2 tons... It's pretty quick and maybe a more reasonable car than the ZX... but who knows ;)

You have to start doing big speeds to really start enjoying what the 300zx has to offer. because handling isn't it';s strong point.
Having driven on the roads round your way, I know how restrictive they are (and boy are the speed cameras diffcult to spot compared to the UK ones) couple that with the fact you always have to be wary of reindeer and Moose walking onto the road, enjoying the speed of the 300 is going to be risky.

That said the targa roof in the summer appeals and all that power through the rear wheels in the winter would be fun :)

Weeeelll...

Got myself a Honda Civic Sport, 2006 model. 140 bhp, does 0-60 in 8.6 seconds or so, so it might beat a 1.7 Puma ;)

I really like the looks, especially the interior which is full of digital displays and very well designed controls. I like the handling as well, accurate and feels nimble.

Pics:

31072009019.jpg

31072009020.jpg

31072009022.jpg

Cracking cars them - my mum's got one and it's amazing how much room is inside it! Goes well too. :eek:k:

Back