Milly rear brake issue

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myweepuma

Milly is being a royal pain! Since being back in the road last May she's always had an issue with the rear brakes. It won't hold on a hill she's had everything replaced at the back drums, bearings, shoes, adjusters and cylinders even the hand brake cables have been done now when driven you can hear the shoe on the passenger side scuff the drum it's been opened and played about with many times and still it does it!

4 weeks ago the bearing on that side started getting noisy so yet again it was opened and replaced now 4 weeks on the bearing is sounding again so I really need to get to the bottom of the problem does anyone have any ideas at all what could cause this?

Check the distance of each of the rear wheels from the edges of the arches to see if the axle is straight. Possibly someones had it off by the brackets and not lined it up properly or maybe your axle is bent?

We never had this problem with the car before the drum etc were changed so am thinking it's something to do with what's been done but have no idea what though

But will check the distance to be safe x

Was it new drums? if you had used ones possibly they aren't the same size if they are from different years cars?
Was it new brake adjusters?

Possibly you have two different problems not related.

A bearing issue either with cheap bearings, bad fitment or incorrect torqueing, or even a bent spindle. Did you buy new cage nuts for the spindles they are only supposed to be one use items, maybe its not a bearing problem but the caged nut coming apart?

And secondly a separate non related brake issue. I had handbrake issues on my last car and repeatedly greased and adjusted the adjusters and it simply wouldn't work even though the adjusters looked fine. One pair of expensive new adjusters later BINGO the best handbrake I ever had.

Was new drums yeah and if you recall we had a hell of a time getting new drums for her think we finally got the right ones after going back and forth 4 times!

I suspect the adjuster but hubby has over ruled me repaetedly and said its not that as they are free moving?!? I've had adjuster problems with a previous puma this is why I suspect it's them!

I might just buy them and then he'll have to fit them! I really don't want to put it in somewhere to have them tell me all sorts of nonsense!

Yeah I don't trust too many garages myself. Quite expensive the adjusters near £50 iirc.

Im not sure if the adjusters are sided or not but if you can swap them over and the side that's binding has changed then you should have your answer.

Yeah £50 from ford :-( but good idea about swapping over! Other that the brake issue an an oil leak she's all good!

Jack car up and check where the handbrake cable splits into 2 parts (one for each wheel) it's often hidden by heatshield and exhaust. Mine was only working on one side. Checked out that side and the spring holding the adjuster was a little bit off. Replaced it and handbrake is great again

Back