Mk6 Fiesta ST150 - "Eggsy"

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtfulHussy

Got myself another motor a few weeks ago. Fiesta st150 in performance blue, full black leather interior and totally standard all over. Needs a few things looking at which, annoyingly, I didn't notice until after driving it a few times but not going to stress as it drives spot on.

His name is Eggsy. At the moment I'm not actually sure I'll be keeping him as, although he is faster than Reggie (1.7 puma) and handles better than Sally (Signum 3.0cdti), I haven't really clicked with him.

Should've bought a horse instead..

Hi Emma
Well done and I think 148 horse power is much better than 1 horse (and much cheaper to run).
Barry

Cherie used to love her little ST150 - still misses it sometimes. Little thread here in case you've missed it.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=15971

I'll maybe see about some photos. This weekend as I'm considered giving it a good wash and polish after my reasonable success with my other half's motor last week.

The current situation is:

Eggsy sits rather dolefully on the drive. His mot is due I'm a couple of weeks time and I have lost the f*@$img service history, which I am furious about as I've only had the car a month.
He needs, at a glance-
1. An exhaust bracket for the back box.
2. The locking mechanism on the petrol flap sorted as it currently does not function at all.
3. At least one wheel repaired as there is a small buckle in the lip. Not enough to lose air but it was an advisory on the last test.
4. The rest of the wheels checked for balancing/buckles
5. Probably tyres although I haven't checked. They are grippy in the dry but shocking when wet so could be the brand. Federal? Not ones I've experienced or heard of really.
6. Both front jack covers, which are proving a surprising pain in the arse to obtain for a reasonable price.
7. Codes read. I believe there are codes sitting on there, one engine code and I am sure I saw stuff for the entertainment systems (it has hands free etc) but the system being used wasn't advanced enough to actually access them.

At the moment I find Eggsy and I at a crossroads. I'm reluctant to spend money on him because I want to get Reggie back on the road. But Reggie needs some serious floor pan welding and before I get that done he needs stripped and before I can do that I have a million jobs in and around the house as well as work and such like. He ain't going to be on the road this year, realistically, even if I did have cash sitting to throw at him. I'm driving Sally (diesel signum) around at the moment but she doesn't like short town runs, as her maintenance light and limp mode demonstrated this afternoon. Also she is comfy but uninspiring. But when I got home after getting Eggsy I suddenly realised I didn't want to sell her. She is a damn handy car to have, good workhorse type and loooads of room in the back for my dogs.

I don't know what to do for best. I can't deny that Eggsy is fun to drive but I don't think the fez is as good looking or endearing as the puma, just no competition IMO. Maybe if I spent a little time bonding with it I might feel a bit different. I am just worried about investing more time and money into it and realising I still don't love it.

Long, slightly pointless, post. Congratulations if you read it all!

I just spent fracking ages typing up an epic update for Eggsy and my computer crash and it is all gone... Raging :crazy: :crazy:

So I'll try again... Eggsy went in for an MOT last Monday and failed on three things:

1. OSF brake pipe excessively corroded - new line ordered
2. OSF spring snapped - complete strut sourced second hand
3. A few indicator bulbs discoloured.

Before I sell him I decided to service him, as I've lost the service history and I would like peace of mind for myself and hopefully for his prospective new owner. There was 30% discount with Euro this week so I seized the opportunity to get what I needed this morning.

First thing first.. he needed a bath!

I haven't had a chance to get the power washing out since marshaling on the Grampian Stages a couple of weekends ago. He needs a damn good clay bar and polish to correct the shocking scoring in the paintwork (must have been washed with a scotchbrite in the past) but I will deal with the progress of that in a separate thread in the detailing section. For now I just need him rinsed off so I can get in about under the arches etc.
A bit of snowfoam and a wash with some micro-mitts and he's looking not too shabby already :)

(The dog is like my second shadow, bless her. Lies at my feet while I'm under the bonnet and all sorts. I should teach her to fetch tools!)

I'm going to play it safe and submit the updates a bit at a time...

So next job was to get under the bonnet and in about to the engine. I removed the oil filter and drained the system. The plug came out easy enough and the oil didn't seem too bad I don't think. There is a sticker on the battery saying the oil was changed in November 2015, but I wasn't taking it as gospel.

Next I moved onto the air box, which I needed to remove to get to the spark plugs. When I took off the cover...

Looks like someone or something has been using Eggsy's airbox as a grain silo! I was utterly gobsmacked. It was so compacted in there it's a wonder the car runs at all. So I very carefully hoovered all of that out so as not to risk knocking anymore towards the throttle body.

Obviously I have a new filter to go in...!

I then removed the box and dismantled it, shook out any remaining grain and rinsed the parts. They in the shed drip drying.

I noticed there was oil sitting around the HT leads at the breather end of the airbox, which is unsurprising. I cleaned it up as best I could. Thankfully the rubber on the leads did it's job and the wells where the plugs sit are bone dry. The plugs themselves came out without much issue but were rank.

They look potentially original but I have no idea.

Old vs New

ArtfulHussy said:
[post]355823[/post] I just spent fracking ages typing up an epic update for Eggsy and my computer crash and it is all gone... Raging :crazy: :crazy: quote]

Bit late now, but for the future, I would first type it up in a "Word" Document, then copy and paste.

The new plugs have gone in without issue but for some reason HT lead no.2 will not click on. I have looked inside and can't see anything deformed. I tried taking the plug out and pressing the two together in my hands but still nothing. If my other half is unable to click the lead on tomorrow it looks like Eggsy will be getting a new set of leads too (I have already picked them...).

I noticed while I was poking around that the belt is looking pretty rough. This surprised me I had the water pump replaced just a few hundred miles ago. After a bit of a barney with my mechanic it looks like I'm going to be changing the belt myself, so that has been ordered. I am told it isn't a greatly difficult job.

I was trying to find out what has caused this damage to the belt and in doing so I removed the PAS fluid reservoir not realising that it goes directly into the block... so the fluid went EEEEVERYWHERE. It turns out it's cooked anyway so I will be replacing that too!

So he's kinda sitting half finished. The strut arrived but I need my buzz gun to dismantle stuff and I'll try to do the brake pipe at the same time. More to follow!

Good work so far!

PS: Get some of these, they're awesome:

g-tek-maxiflex-gloves-xl.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=maxiflex%20gloves&rct=j

Ebay, Amazon etc stock them and for a couple of quid a pair. I wouldn't be without them now.

:cool: that belt has seen better days I'd day! And wtf with all that mess in the airbox!!

Aw man this caaaar. It is not making it easy for me. I've found where the brake pipe is corroded and it is the long section that goes from the wheel arch through the engine bay and connects to the ABS unit. I can buy a full set of second hand lines or I can try to make one myself using copper line I already have. It'll probably be the later but I'm not sure how to prevent the fluid leaking out the abs unit while I mess around with the old and new pipes working it into the right shape and getting the ends fitted.

Tried to undo the nut holding the arb link to the strut this evening and it's just spinning, so now it needs a flaming arb link too.

I'm gonna make a loss on this car when I sell it but all these little bits and pieces are just increasing the hit I'm gonna take. :'(

Hi Emma
Are you sure there's no joint on this brake pipe as there is usually one somewhere near the bend where the pipe goes into the tunnel. As for the ARB link I think there may be a torx or alan stud hole to stop the whole thing rotating whilst you're undoing the nut.
Barry

I managed to get the arb link off - I tried the Allen key slot but it rounded almost immediately. I ended up clamping the back with vice grips and buzzing it off with the gun again.

There is a join for the brake pipe (so it goes long piece into arch, short piece across arch, hose). Unfortunately it isn't the short piece that has corroded so it's definitely the long section that needs replaced. I've messaged a local mobile mechanic to see if I can get a quote as if it isn't too expensive I may just get it done for me, rather than buying tools to make the pipe up myself.

Latest development this morning is I managed to get both the rear calipers off as I felt the wheels didn't spin very freely. So much so that I'm pretty sure they must bind a bit while driving. The pads are in pretty crap condition, there is a lot of meat on them but they are crumbling around the edges and on one side a couple of sizable chunks have come off. The discs kook a little unevenly worn also. Im unsure if it will be the source of droning noise but on each carrier one of the sliding bolts was seized, I've managed to prise one out but haven't attempt the other yet. I'll get carriers cleaned up although I'm not sure yet how to clean out the shaft where the bolt goes. Maybe a wirey pipe cleaning brush or something. I've checked the seals on the pistons and there doesn't appear to be any evidence of the seals failing so I am assuming the pistons themselves are okay. I'll pick up new discs and pads from euro tomorrow. More bloody money :roll:

Righto. Got the struts swapped out yesterday and my brother helped me with the aux belt change so all that's left major repair wise is to replacement the corroded brake line from the abs to the OSF arch. I've been quoted £40 from a mobile mechanic but having been pretty successful thus far I'm going to have a look at getting a flaring tool and making a new pipe myself.

Also as far as the failed wheel bearing suspicion goes I do believe I have solved the mystery of the droning above 30mph.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_eRhOhUo0M[/youtube]

That definitely sounds like a goosed bearing to me. I checked for movement in the wheels before dismantling and sure enough there wasn't any. It's not the abs sensor as the face of it isn't scored and I checked to ensure the ring wasn't catching on any rust build up on the stub so it just leaves the bearing. I had already purchased one for this so will see about getting it changed this week if I can.

Think that bearing is well and truly buggered!

Well Eggsy passed his retest with no advisories a few weeks ago. I have a couple of niggly bits to sort out. I'm considering running it for a month or two as Sally is due an MOT in December and I know of a few things she needs done so I'm thinking I'll hang onto the ST in case the Signum ends up off the road for a few weeks.

I'm looking at taking the 17's off and putting on some smaller wheels and winter tyres. I've got the 16s that are on Reggie at the moment, though I don't know the offset of them off the top of my head.

It's a real pain in the aaaaass not being able to get into the garage in this weather!

Latest posts

Back