Mondeo mk3 calipers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
topmansparkie said:
The first ones are the rears!

You need to be looking at these:
Mk3 Mondeo Front brake caliper

Yeah I did eventually notice that :oops:

And I have put a wee cheeky off on these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221074564036?ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1427.l2649

I am even thinking about refurbishing them myself as I found a decent 'how to do' thread and it looks fairly straight forward plus I will have plenty of time on my hands, and this should prevent me from getting bored for a wee while!

I had to buy the calipers separately, but still managed to get them dirt cheap!

They are easy to clean up and refurb. Good opportunity to paint them too if you want.
Also, make sure you have wheels that fit over them. I put my Puma off the road for three days as my wheels didn't fit afterwards.

Word of advice when buying the disc/pad package....
Don't do what I did and buy a set of disc & pads for the 170.... I totally forgot that the calipers are Mondeo and the 170 pads don't fit them! Remember to buy Mondeo pads!!
I had a brand new set of Mintex pads left over after buying them in a set with discs. But as they didn't fit the calipers, I ended up throwing them away as nobody wanted them.

topmansparkie said:
I had to buy the calipers separately, but still managed to get them dirt cheap!

They are easy to clean up and refurb. Good opportunity to paint them too if you want.
Also, make sure you have wheels that fit over them. I put my Puma off the road for three days as my wheels didn't fit afterwards.

Don't do what I did and buy a set of disc & pads for the 170.... I totally forgot that the calipers are Mondeo and the 170 pads don't fit them! Remember to buy Mondeo pads!!
I had a brand new set of Mintex pads left over after buying them in a set with discs. But as they didn't fit the calipers, I ended up throwing them away as nobody wanted them.

I am upgrading my wheels to 16' so hopefully they will be big enough accommodate the Callipers.

I thought £30 was a good price, that was until the dismantlers got back to me Just an hour after I had purchased them saying they had a pair for £25 including Vat, I am sure they do it on purpose!

And thanks for the heads up on the pads, I could of created a world of pain for myself if you had not enlightened me!!

i was think that the other day but 15s fit i think with spacers and abit shaved of the calliper

I tried 15's over them and got the grinder out too, but decided I wasn't prepared to chop that amount off the calipers.

Everyone to their own though....

way i thought that they would if you cut the callipers and put spacers on?

I had a brand new set of Mintex pads left over after buying them in a set with discs. But as they didn't fit the calipers, I ended up throwing them away as nobody wanted them

lol i did the same thing big error!!!!! still have the pads tho.....

I have just recently carried out the same 300mm front brake conversion, using Mondeo Calipers, ST170 discs and Mintex pads.
Initial thoughts were I expected a bit better braking to be honest, although that said I think there is still some air in the brake lines so will try bleeding them again. Also have been told to use the much more expensive Mintex 1144 pads, as these are miles better but like four times the price of normal Mintex.
I'm maybe being a bit prejudgemental as I haven't fully bedded them in yet, the pedal is a bit soft but the front does nose dive more and no fade at all which my old 240 original set did even at the thought of braking. I have read that using the older master cylinder(Black)/servo set up works better too, which I have on the car originally.
Look great through the alloys tho, good luck with yours.
Deano

I noticed a huge difference on mine when they actually saved me from side swiping a 4x4 that pulled out on me a few days after they were fitted which impressed me a lot. My old 260mm discs & pads were fairly new when I replaced them but the Mondeo setup was immediately noticeably better. I'd give them a good bleed, possibly change the fluid throughout too as there's no knowing how long/used your current fluid is, then bed them in for a good 500 miles by braking earlier/gentler than you usually do.

Brake fade was eliminated on mine and I really felt the difference with very hard use on the track. Cost wise I'd have to say it's by far the best value upgrade for the Puma. My opinion of course ;)

I found the 300mm upgrade to be a massive improvement but seem to preform a little better when hot.
I'm using Mintex discs with bog standard 'bought from a local motor factor' pads.

yeah deffo perform better when hot

cold they are a bit meh

maybe im just spoilt by my 6 pots now lol

Back