more power wanted!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puma black ;)

hey guys my puma has had a few mods on the engine, just wondering if theres much more that i could do? i do not have the funds to supercharge or turbo the car,

SO FAR IVE DONE
Engine :-
Piper 4-2-1
Piper ssteel full system with a sport cat
Piper viscous cams
Piper cross viper cold air feed induction kit
Flamer kit (would never buy one again!)
Accel high booster coil pack
magnecor 8.5mm coil leads
puma build remap

EXTERIOR:-
Spax vsx coilovers
Ebc disc`s and mintex pads
Rear boot spoiler
tinted windows
Mondeo anniversary alloy wheels painted white

ive been looking for a frp inlet manifold for a few weeks now and they are extremely hard to find, is there any alternative other than the frp inlet??? also any other ideas that would improve the performance :thumbs:

ive heard many story`s of engines siezing using NOS, has anyone fitted it on thiers? and if so how does the engine take to it? also ive been looking on ebay at fse fuel regualators. and the pipercross power boost valves, do these items actually work? ive read a few forums with mixed reviews, sorry my spelling aint the best :eek:k:

martinthrapston said:
if you want more power go down the NOS route.............
as for the frp manifold no chance................

You say that like they never come up for sale and you said the exact same for FRP interiors yet they show up on eBay several times a week! :roll:

A more realistic statement would be that you've no chance of buying one cheaply, if you've got the cash available you should be able to pick one up fairly quickly.

:wink:

Yep im currently bidding on a set of frp front seats, money isnt the problem the only reason i dont want to turbo it is beceause the hassle of doing it also the car is used daily so cant really take it off the road,

Talk to eldude if you want to know anything about NOS on a Puma.

He has it fitted to his FRP and has had for the last couple of years.

He has a progressive controller and it's all very technical.

with nos tho be prepared to loose the boot and glovebox space for bottle and controller...oh and the expensive of re-filling it!!!! a few years of that and you may as well have forked out for someone to shoehorn a v8 with some real power in!!!!

martinthrapston said:
if you really want more power buy a car that has it already
some people me included, could go and buy another car with more power easy, but at the end of the day it wouldnt be a puma, so trying to up the bhp is the only option, im used to having more power in the past eg 911 bmws lotus to name a few ive had, but i wouldnt swap them for my puma :) i think other then headwork or inlet manifold without a charger your probably at all you can do, as thats where im at too, i have got the full turbo kit together now, thanks to (pumanobbs help,thank you) just waiting for the best time to do it, could buy a cheap run around and take the car off the road, then when its done sell the run around on

i dont want another car, the puma is differnt to all the rest. i used to own a scooby doo but the unrelyability was a problem for me also the 6 monthly service wasnt cheap, plus i think the puma handles a little better and is ALOT cheaper to maintian, ive had a read of the post PumaNoob put up when he done the turbo conversion and it seems there where alot of problems getting the car running right once fitted plus i wouldnt have a clue where to get parts, how much did it cost you to make up a turbo conversion? :eek:k:

advice taken, not really to keen on the idea of NOS,
jacko said:
with nos tho be prepared to loose the boot and glovebox space for bottle and controller...oh and the expensive of re-filling it!!!! a few years of that and you may as well have forked out for someone to shoehorn a v8 with some real power in!!!!

this is my personal opinion,the puma was built for fun not power,it has more than enough power standard for the 1.7,i have owned faster and more powerfull cars in the past and the way the puma goes and handles is great why change something that is good to start with,regular servicing helps lots,and also my old puma 1.7 went on a rolling road and that produced 131 bhp standard...........................................

i would have to get back to you on how much i spent, quit a few little bits and bob to add up, if you shop around for parts you can do it quit cheap, i was lucky to find a very good condition garrett T25 turbo at a good price so saved abit on cost there, think the problems pumanoob had where only minor,which if you speak to him im sure he would let you know where he went wrong, im not saying its going to be easy, but i think for me it will be worth it to have my perfect car in the end

I'd agree with Martin, the Puma has 'enough' power to make it fun. The FRP has about another 30bhp on top, but that's hardly enough extra to take it to another planet. Weird as it sounds, my standard unmodified 1.7 felt faster.

I'd save the cash.

i do understand that everybodys going to think diffrently, and yes i agree the puma does have enough power for a 1.7 i just feel that alot more can be produced from the car, ive seen alot of good examples of turbo/supercharger conversions and the engines seem to cope well with the added power, i dont want the car to be fighter jet fast just a little quicker than it is already, :eek:k: i might have found a frp inlet!!!! :thumbs:

the only thing to give a puma a modest power boost is a Turbo charger or remove AC and get a Super charger..... but if it fails be prepared to find a new engine :lol:

Purely out of interest, how much would a "decent" NOS setup cost?

Not top spec but not some cheapy setup that'll do more damage than good.

EDIT
On further investiagtion the Wizards Of NOS kits look to be around £500-600.

Do you pay over the odds for having it provided to you in kit form as oppose to tracking down the individual parts and piecing together a custom setup or are they good kits?

Back