MOT fail, strange advisory.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Puma has just failed it's test. Car is new to me so it was a step into the unkown.
Couple of front hoses,ball joint dust cover and a tyre.
Very strange advisory though which is new to me.

UNDERSIDE OF VEHICLE COATED IN PAINT.

Is it me or do all manufactures coat the underside of their cars in paint.
What it is referring to is my wirebrushing of surface rust on the back chassis and boot floor and spare wheel tray.
Application of rust nuetraliser and a coat of hammerite smooth black.

Beats me!

That's a new one on me.

My Megane got an advisory a couple of times for having a plastic cover fitted underneath the engine which I can only assume was fitted to every single Megane MKII in the country.

I had that "Plastic covers obscuring engine from under" note on a Puma MOT - strange as it doesn't have any!

Ask them, but what I think this means is just that they haven't been able to check the rust condition of the underside of the car due to the paint. It's the same as them not being allowed to remove anything like tape, so some people tape over dodgy bits of bodywork that might cause a fail. The tester might suspect an issue, but they can't touch the tape so they cover themselves by pointing out that there was tape there. See also not being able to test a seatbelt with a child seat fitted.

What they're saying is, 'the underside might be a rusty MOT fail but we can't check because of a load of paint.'

JopieBK said:
Ask them, but what I think this means is just that they haven't been able to check the rust condition of the underside of the car due to the paint. It's the same as them not being allowed to remove anything like tape, so some people tape over dodgy bits of bodywork that might cause a fail. The tester might suspect an issue, but they can't touch the tape so they cover themselves by pointing out that there was tape there. See also not being able to test a seatbelt with a child seat fitted.

What they're saying is, 'the underside might be a rusty MOT fail but we can't check because of a load of paint.'
Yes I see but the rest of the car is undersealed and whatever happened to poking around with a screwdriver or tapping with a hammer.

My Puma passed the MOT today but because the DVSA computer has collapsed only get a hand scribbled "Contingency MOT Test Certificate" and cannot tax the car with it. What a shambles every government IT project turns out to be.

Dal said:
I had that "Plastic covers obscuring engine from under" note on a Puma MOT - strange as it doesn't have any!

This is regards to the plastic rocker cover, basically covers an mot'er in the case a massive oil leak was under there and spilt onto your brakes or what have ya

It's just to cover their backsides

No it isn't to do with the plastic engine cover*, it specifically said "under engine cover" with exactly the same wording that it had on my M3 MOT that did have covers under the engine bay from the bumper back to the bulkhead. I haven't the MOTs any more so can't quote the exact wording.

But yes, it's to cover backsides. :eek:k:

*They won't fail a puma for a leaky rocker cover anyway unless it's gushing out. Or else 75% of Pumas would fail :lol: Oil tends to go downwards, so when they're under the car they'll see as the Puma has no under engine covers obscuring anything.

There is a plastic engine cover on the underside of the Puma.
It's on the drivers side and held to the chassis with 2 x 8 mm headed bolts.
It shields the bottom crankshaft pulley, probably to deflect water from the Auxiliary belt when driving through puddles.
This is probably what they are referring to.
As whilst it's fitted , it's then difficult to see where an oil leak may be coming from, at the front cam belt end of the engine

It's hardly on the Elise scale though is it.. lol

Funny how in the early days there was never this MOT advisory on the Puma, but in this day and age of modern cars having lots of upper and lower engine covers it suddenly appears. It's probably on their systems to print on every MOT.

Catweasel said:
My Puma passed the MOT today but because the DVSA computer has collapsed only get a hand scribbled "Contingency MOT Test Certificate" and cannot tax the car with it. What a shambles every government IT project turns out to be.

Probably because it's some useless windows program :roll:

Back