Need help with cone air filter

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chukz00

So i have decided to buy a second hand cone filter for a tenner which fitted directly on the standard hose without a problem ( i was well surprised about that). I have taken out the air box cover but i'm a bit puzzled what to do with the sensor wires that were originally connected to the box.

Also, there is a little hole on the pipe bit of the cone, is this for a purpose? should it be shut or open to let air through?

Overall it works good, sounds like a monster on acceleration however i do feel like the engine gets quite hot after some short journeys, is this because of the setup?

Would appreciate someone with experience to advise me on this :)

If the filter was made for a 1.4 then there should be a sensor hole for the plug, if not then you have the wrong filter, but i'm sure you could get it in some how. a picture of the filter would be great

Ahh i sorted it, Basically I put the air filter straight on the tube which is wrong, it should go via the MAF sensor into the tube and has to be fitted tightly with no gaps, sounds amazing now and i think i can feel some better performance in higher revs :)

If your new cone sits over the old filter box minus the lid, have you added a cold air hose from the front grill up into the old filter box to provide nice cold rushing air? :) I did this on mine easily by taking out the bottom of the air box and removing a round rounded end tube that left a hole the perfect size for my new air hose.

@scofield.1 Yeah it sits over the bottom of the old airbox, but I havent considered adding a hose for cold air, I thought thats what it is designed to do anyway?

What type of hose did you use & where did you get it from? It definitely sounds like a neat solution!

Mine was already on the car, but I am pretty sure that the hose came as part of a kit. I am told by those who know far more than I that getting cold fresh air to the filter is important. I do not believe it effects the cars performance, but again I am no expert. What I DO know is that it creates a very nice sound!

It will improve performance, how much difference it will make on a road car is probably minimal
It works because cold air is more densely packed with oxygen that hot meaning a better quality explosion inside the cylinders= faster car.
Also if you contain that air in a way that allows it to have a greater air pressure than the atmosphere, that's 1.0 bar you'll have the 'ram air affect' obviously the faster you car is going the faster air is going to smash into your filter via your cold air feed providing you've got it routed from a place in a decent air flow and via the shortest route, usually worth trimming them pipes down a bit :)

johnnyd said:
It will improve performance, how much difference it will make on a road car is probably minimal
It works because cold air is more densely packed with oxygen that hot meaning a better quality explosion inside the cylinders= faster car.
Also if you contain that air in a way that allows it to have a greater air pressure than the atmosphere, that's 1.0 bar you'll have the 'ram air affect' obviously the faster you car is going the faster air is going to smash into your filter via your cold air feed providing you've got it routed from a place in a decent air flow and via the shortest route, usually worth trimming them pipes down a bit :)
Bet you could'nt measure any increase in BHP/torque on a R/Road,more likely a loss.

Latest posts

Back