New driver, new puma owner

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matzie

Hi... I passed my test last week, first time, and bought a Puma yesterday.

Slight twist is... technically I've been learning for 21 years! I'm 38 now. It's a long story but basically I had some lessons at 17 but ran out of money, had a long time when I was either too poor or too busy, then a long time working in London when driving just wasn't a priority... plus my wife is a year older than me and we've been together since we were pretty young so she passed at 17 and I was 16, and she's chauffeured me around ever since. I've been insured on her car for the past ten years or so but only drove very occasionally as, despite being together over two decades and having four kids - driving together was a recipe for divorce :)

Anyway after finally getting my act together and taking plenty of lessons (probably a lot more than normal, I only tend to fight battles I know I can win), I passed last week. I'd debated lots of different cars and nearly pulled the trigger on an MX5, and even toyed with the (obviously ridiculous) idea of an RX8 (my pockets are deep enough for the maintenance costs, but I'm not ready for that much car just yet) and so I went for a Puma in the end, a red 1.7. It's a bit different to the Peugeot 207 1.2 I've been learning in! And a lot more fun than my wife's Zafira 2.2, which I've driven a few times in the last couple of months. I wonder whether I'm still a bit out of my depth, but I'm old enough to know not to go into boy-racer mode (well, almost :) ) I always thought it' d be a stepping stone to a different car... but seeing how much fun it is to drive, I think I'll be keeping it for a while!

My only real niggle at the moment is the seating position. I have quite short legs so need to sit pretty close, but I can't easily see the top of the speedo. I guess I'll just have to play with it to get it the best I can. or learn to know the equivalent kph markings or needle angle for 70. It's a shame the wheel isn't adjustable. Other than that, I can't fault it!

Hi Matzie

Congrats on both passing your test and your choice of car. I was a driving instructor for near on 15 years and almost bought a brand new Puma during that time. The one thing that put me off was the lack of vision out of the back (not a problem for me, I just thought my pupils would struggle). In the end I opted for a MG ZR which I loved as much as I love the Puma.

Hope you have a lot of fun out there but take it easy, things happen on the road that you don't normally come across in driving lessons.

And I bet you owe your wife lots of trips to & fro to the pub after all these years!!! :lol:

Have fun but be safe Buddy.

Good advice, thanks! I'm starting Pass Plus next week and plan to continue further training after that as well. I've got a Sheffield to Leicester return journey three days a week, first time this morning was a bit of a shock to the system - but a lot better than the train!

Welcome aboard :thumbs: The seats height adjustable with the lever on your right if that helps

quest63 said:
Welcome aboard :thumbs: The seats height adjustable with the lever on your right if that helps

Unless it's an earlier 97/98 model, which is via the electronic switch on the right side of the front.

Welcome :grin:

Well done Matzie! You must be one of the few that just passed their driving test to be able to insure a Puma.
Barry

Well insurance was still quite pricey, £900, but I was surprised to find that whatever car I checked on, it was within +/- £200 of that - MX5, RX8, Z3... it was all the same and the only one that could get it north of £1500 was an S2000, which I'd always seen (despite known flaws) as my aspirational car. In the end I saw sense about at least minimal rear seats (we have four kids, hence the Zafira) for now and something nice and small while I gain experience, and I'm glad I did!

I sorted the driving position out and now have a good view of the speedo and the road.

I think I've probably been taking things a bit fast though - yesterday coming off a big, wide, empty roundabout onto a dual carriageway, not that sharp a turn at all, and I was about 25mph, I felt like I'd steered correctly, but the car seemed to dip on the right hand side - I mean if you'd been behind me, the rear bumper wouldn't have been parallel with the road like normal but slightly closer to the ground on the drivers side. It felt okay, but I slowed down afterwards and it didn't happen again. Was I just going too fast? Or is it that I'm not used to driving without any weight in the passenger seat? Or is this a puma thing?

Edit: ah. Bit of googling shows I'm talking about body roll. Reading up on it now - I didn't *think* I was going too fast, so maybe going to need some work on the suspension.

matzie said:
Well insurance was still quite pricey, £900, but I was surprised to find that whatever car I checked on, it was within +/- £200 of that - MX5, RX8, Z3... it was all the same and the only one that could get it north of £1500 was an S2000, which I'd always seen (despite known flaws) as my aspirational car. In the end I saw sense about at least minimal rear seats (we have four kids, hence the Zafira) for now and something nice and small while I gain experience, and I'm glad I did!

I sorted the driving position out and now have a good view of the speedo and the road.

I think I've probably been taking things a bit fast though - yesterday coming off a big, wide, empty roundabout onto a dual carriageway, not that sharp a turn at all, and I was about 25mph, I felt like I'd steered correctly, but the car seemed to dip on the right hand side - I mean if you'd been behind me, the rear bumper wouldn't have been parallel with the road like normal but slightly closer to the ground on the drivers side. It felt okay, but I slowed down afterwards and it didn't happen again. Was I just going too fast? Or is it that I'm not used to driving without any weight in the passenger seat? Or is this a puma thing?

Edit: ah. Bit of googling shows I'm talking about body roll. Reading up on it now - I didn't *think* I was going too fast, so maybe going to need some work on the suspension.

It might need some suspension work they are old cars and some arent maintained well. However I would start by checking your tyre pressures first

Hi all - that problem I had with body roll was down to under-inflated tyres on the driver's side - both were down about 4 PSI. The difference after I pumped them up was like night and day! I'm keeping a close eye on the pressures now. Still going to get the suspension looked at just in case, but just had a very expensive repair on my wife's Zafira - timing chain went, whole engine had to be rebuilt :-(

In other news, starting to really enjoy driving now... my three-times a week Sheffield to Leicester journey gets hampered a bit by traffic but coming back last night I took a different route on some A and B roads, and it was great fun. Still taking it slowly, not taking any risks, but... I know what people mean when they say the Puma puts a smile on your face now :)

Back