New member with a Steel Blue 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerbyDan

Hi guys, it rather ironic that i've just found this site when it looks like i'm going to have to sell my Puma in the near future :roll:

Anyway, about me & my Puma.... I first brought my 2001 1.7 Puma almost four years now, I was just about to get myself on the housing ladder, I sold my Honda Integra TypeR which freed up some cash for the deposit on the house but I needed an economical but reliable car to replace the Honda. I love my cars to be at least a bit interesting & to handle well & with the Puma scoring a 5 star rating in the back of Evo magazine a Puma seemed the ideal choice!

I brought the car on 46,000miles & its now just turned over to 70,000 and apart from the usual niggles that it seems Puma owners endure (including it being called a hairdressers car) its been great! Anyway heres some pictures of it - as you can see I can't keep anything 100% standard and i've fitted a Scorpion S/S exhaust (which really does sound nice without being in-your-face loud) The wheels I had refurbished with a diamond cut face (& added new Vredestien Ultrac tyres all round - which i'd highly recommend!) Theres also an Alpine Ipod ready CD player (I had to spray the Autoleads surround to match the interior silver) & a pair of the nicer FRP style carpet mats in the front.

IMGP0452.jpg

IMGP0453.jpg

IMGP0454.jpg

IMGP0455.jpg

I hope you like it :)

Welcome :) I decided on a Puma after reading the Evo rating too. I like the Steel Blue, I don't see many in my area.
I like Scorpion exhausts, if I get a S/S that would be my choice.

Got any pics of your old Teg?

Thanks for the comments... unfortunately the Puma isn't looking quite so fresh now - those pictures were taken about two years ago, last winter really took its toll & the rear arches have started to get the usual rust :cry:

The reason for the impending sale of this car is because i'm getting another Integra (hoping to pick it up tomorrow :cool: )

This is my old Teggy... No.18 on the plaque, so one of the first of the UK models

IMGP0641.jpg

IMGP0254.jpg

IMGP0642.jpg

The Puma has actually been quite a good 'Integra Substitute' in some ways I think its the better all-round car - the 1.7 engines are a 'peach' - torquey low down yet happy to rev & rev, the handling although no where near as focused or as sharp as the Honda really is superb - i'm sure that down a bumpy narrow b road the Puma could be the quicker car?

Well the teg TR was the only FWD car that was rated as being better then then the FRP/Puma so a worthy change.

I'd love a teg TR, but it doens't have a blue oval so I'm not to sure.

I'm sure i saw your old teg tr for sale about a year ago in at a dealer in leyland????

Puma looks like a cracking example! :)

Any close ups of the alloys after you'd had them refinished?

I agree that you need a "speed" car but the puma is an excellent winter run around.
I would keep them both if it were me.
You know that you don't get too many probs with the puma and the ones you do get are pretty easy and cheap to sort.
I really think you will regret selling it as it looks a corker and it will cost you a LOT more next year buying a similar car.
You know it makes sense :grin:
PS...never saw the "EVO rating" so if someone can link me in that direction :cool:

spit said:
PS...never saw the "EVO rating" so if someone can link me in that direction :cool:

It's in the back of every mag, I don't have a scanner and it would be too small to get a photo of but...
Ford Puma 1.7 evorating ***** A truly great car Positives Everything Negatives Nothing. The 1.4 is worth a look too.

Full report available in issue 095F.

FRP report in issue 016F

Scotty1.7 said:
Well the teg TR was the only FWD car that was rated as being better then then the FRP/Puma so a worthy change.

I'd love a teg TR, but it doens't have a blue oval so I'm not to sure.

I'm sure i saw your old teg tr for sale about a year ago in at a dealer in leyland????

Thanks for the comments guys :cool:

It would be interesting to know where my old Integra is now - although like Pumas there are alot of tired/rusty ones out there now (the rear wheel arch/3 quarter panels rust from the inside) I'd hate to find that my old car is one of those or has been wrapped around a tree :-(

I personally would take a standard Puma over a Ford Racing one - although they look dead cool & have that bonkers exhaust note, having test driven one not long after their release I felt that it just didn't flow as nicely as the standard car & the few extra horses that the engine produced didn't make it feel any more potent. Maybe living with one would reveal the cars full charm? Incidentally one of my friend's used to work at Tickfords on the FRP production line ... he managed to aquire a few left over parts - unfortunately a FRP plenum & Cam set had gone by the time I brought my Puma :| A pair of standard Puma calipers (which were dumped in favour of the Alcon units for the FRP IIRC?) now reside on the back axle of my mate's Zetec powered 105e Anglia :cool:

I'll have to take some better pictures of the diamond cut wheels - they were fitted in those pictures but are pretty subtle in the daytime - however, they really come alive in the dark under the street lamps! They are not on the car at the moment, I swap them over for some standard original style Puma five spokes for the winter to keep the finish fresh on the 9 spokes :wink:

DerbyDan said:
I personally would take a standard Puma over a Ford Racing one - although they look dead cool & have that bonkers exhaust note, having test driven one not long after their release I felt that it just didn't flow as nicely as the standard car & the few extra horses that the engine produced didn't make it feel any more potent. Maybe living with one would reveal the cars full charm? Incidentally one of my friend's used to work at Tickfords on the FRP production line ... he managed to aquire a few left over parts - unfortunately a FRP plenum & Cam set had gone by the time I brought my Puma :| A pair of standard Puma calipers (which were dumped in favour of the Alcon units for the FRP IIRC?) now reside on the back axle of my mate's Zetec powered 105e Anglia :cool:

Welcome along mate :D

Puma looks like a cracker in the photos :eek:k: glad to hear youve enjoyed it.

The FRP has to be driven on the limit to get the full potential from it id say personally :) the extra bhp doesnt really make that much of a difference in speed, Id say more to pull the extra weight of the fatty lol!!
I do love the experience though, and wouldnt go back to standard after owning one I think its a fantastic car - everyone has their different views though!

@ Zara, I should imagine the FRP (like the Integra) suits more open, fast & flowing roads - & I bet with an extra 20 or so BHP would be an awsome track day car..... thats when I car like the FRP comes into its own I guess.

Anyway - heres a pic I found of my Puma, really showing up the diamond cut effect on the wheels :cool:
DSC00236.jpg

& a crappy phone pic of a wheel when I first got them back from the re-furbers
DSC00166.jpg

This is how it looks (as of yesterday) on the winter wheels
IMGP1576.jpg

IMGP1575.jpg

& heres the new Integra :cool:
IMGP1560.jpg

Latest posts

Back