NEW North East Puma 1.7 fella (w/Car Photos)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longyear

Hello all,

I was pleased to find this awesome forum about a week ago, at the point I decided I was going to buy a Puma. I bought my first Puma yesterday, so thought it was time to join and say hi!

I'm in the North East of England, I'm 39 and over the last 20+ year I've owned many cars; some great, not so. I don't know how I managed to miss the Puma over that time, but I only recently became aware of just how great these little cars are. (And what unbelievable value for money they can be).

So..... yesterday, I bought a 2000 (W) Puma 1.7i which had been taken by a main Ford Dealer as a Part Ex. The car has 71k and a full Ford Service History from 2000 until Oct 2009. Since then it's had 2 comprehensive services by an independent Ford garage.

Here is a really crappy photo I just took with my really crappy phone (the wife has mislaid the digital camera, when it surfaces, I'll take some proper pics), just after I got the car :-

puma0010.jpg

When I went to look at the car, I wasn't expecting much as it was only up for £995. However, I spent almost an hour thoroughly inspecting the car at the dealer and could not believe how 'straight' this car was. Everything from the fact that everything works perfectly (including fuel gauge & heater matrix!), down to the immaculate engine bay, clean, light brown, translucent oil, lovely pink coolant in the bottle (not topped up with water to the degree that the colour goes!).... the interior is stunning.

Of course, exterior wise, the car is absolutely lovely EXCEPT (you know what I'm going to say here) that both arches have bubbling. On one arch the paint has not broken yet, but the bubbling has caught hold of the car for sure. The other side has clearly been worse and has been repaired and painted, pretty badly from a cosmetic point of view. But it's not too bad, and I have a 'man' who runs a body repair business that will get the arches nice again.

The car drives literally like a new car, in fact (no offence here) but having owned only German cars for the last 5 years, I really cannot believe this is a W reg Ford !! There's not a rattle, and even the interior plastics look as new.

.... It was between this car and a red 1.4, but the 1.4 was a 1999 (T) for the same price, and although it had PERFECT arches, paint & body, the interior wasn't as nice and the mechanics not quite as tight. Plus of course, I really wanted a 1.7.

I got my Puma for £900 cash, with 10 months MOT, no tax (my wife has bought the tax today and I am like an excited child waiting for her to get back from town!!). Full Service History, 71k, HPi clear, no accidents whatsoever, every MOT, original user book etc.

I can absolutely say that for £900 this is without doubt the most stupidly good value car I have ever bought.

Very happy to have joined the Puma 'stable' :)

Cheers,
Longyear.

Hi and welcome.

I was like you and missed/disregarded the Puma as a viable motor in the past - which was my loss as it is indeed a cracking car. I've now owned mine for 3+ years when it was supposed to be a temp one until I found something better....lol.

I have just bought said replacementy but decided to keep the Puma which is a testiment to just how good it is.

Enjoy ;)

Cheers Yippeekiay :cool:

Yes, very similar. I bought the Puma as a cheap second car (main car is a lovely refined Volvo V70 D5, but clearly not a 'fun' car as such)..... I actually recently bought a Corsa 1.0 12v, telling myself that the awful GM build quality and total lack of performance would be worth it, for the gains in economy.

........that car was in my ownership a wopping 3 weeks, and I was so happy to see the back of it!

So the Puma replaced it and it is madness that the Puma cost less than the Corsa..... it is superior in every way including condition, as well as the obvious performance and fun factor.

My previous fave car was a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo which I owned 6 year ago........ but to be honest the fun factor of the Puma (clearly around the handling more than raw power) seems greater than I remember it when I first got the 20v Turbo :)

UPDATE: My Puma does have one little fault that's developed today, that didn't happen during the test drive; the indicators are not cancelling. Is this a common fault? I will take the cowelling off and take a peep tomorrow.

Cheers.

Welcome to the site, sounds like a right little bargain :D

The indicators not cancelling is pretty common, although I'm not sure what the fault is as I've not had it myself.. It's probably the indicator stalks.... I did have this problem with the left indicator but never fixed it as I always cancel them manually anyway.

Welcome to the site pal and its nice to have someone else from the North East on here.
Sounds like you have a real bargain, any probs give me a shout :eek:k:
And sounds like the stalks had it, but check to see if the covers fouling it or snagging on something.

Just like mine! I've been a Ford fan for a few years now but always overlooked the Puma. About 6 months ago we got a Mk4 Fiesta that was in outstanding condition and it blew me away with how well it drove, i figured the Puma could be a bit more fun and didnt regret it, the way they drive is far above what you would expect, even the build quality is fine, its just a shame about the arches.

Alreet there and welcome along :)

Im originally from Washington, good to see more Northeners creeping up :D

Zara said:
Alreet there and welcome along :)

Im originally from Washington, good to see more Northeners creeping up :D

Oof! Washington, God's country!

I'm originally from Newcastle (parents from Washington :wink: ), but now live in County Durham, exactly 9 miles from Sunderland and 9 miles from Durham (but sadly 19 miles from the 'toon' :-( ).

@ Kidders; yes, you're right about the arches, mine are the only thing that let's car down but having looked at some prices to get them done, I don't think it's going to be feasible. Getting quoted that the job (done truly properly, with serious paint blending) would normally be around £600-£700, and at least £300-£400 mates rates. Doubt I'd spend that money on them. (Until they get worse and threaten MOT failure; they're nowhere near that point yet).

Cam Belt Service (Cam Belt, Tensioner, Bolts, Aux Belt, Cam Cover Gasket) will be the first big investment, as although the car isn't due one on mileage basis, it is on a time interval basis (just over 5 years since the last cam belt change). Not going to take any risks so will get that done.

Today, I repaired the broken parcel shelf pins, nicely loosened up a slightly stiff drivers door lock (remote fob working beautifully but just in case!), and cleaned the MAF sensor, which to be fair looked new and didn't have any discernible gunk on it. Also ordered some clear side repeaters. It won't by any means be a heavily mod'd car, but the orange had to go!

My wife hates me buying cars and thinks I waste too much money on cars (sometimes she's right!). She rarely gets excited about any car I get, but she popped to Asda last night, her first time driving the Puma, and when she got back home, her opening words were "I have to say, that is a LOVELY car!".

:)

Longyear said:
phil185 said:
Welcome from me (currently live in Washington).

Thanks mate, may see you on the A1231 through Washington one day, as I transit it most days from A19 <=> A1.

:grin:

Cheers.

Maybe but i wont be in the puma, its a stage rally car so doesnt do daily driving :lol:

My indicator stopped cancelling itself but i think it was my fault, where i live there is a roundabout then just after i have to bare left and coming off the roundabout i decided to keep my hand down on the stalk so it wouldnt come back up and ever since then its not cancelled itself properly

Daz_zz_er said:
My indicator stopped cancelling itself but i think it was my fault, where i live there is a roundabout then just after i have to bare left and coming off the roundabout i decided to keep my hand down on the stalk so it wouldnt come back up and ever since then its not cancelled itself properly

Yeah, I've had my cowelling off and had a good nose around; it's fixed in one direction but still sticks the other way. I'll replace the stalk unit at some point, but it doesn't bother me cancelling manually at the mo. :grin:

Back