New Project Puma member but owned my Puma for years...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyThunder

Hi guys,

I am located in Herefordshire and (my username rather gives it away) I have a Grey Thunder. It is more or less standard, with only few incredibly minor mods (such as smoked indicators on the wings, flat blade wipers...).

I really enjoy driving the car and would be very sad to have to sell it, and currently have no intention of doing that - I would like to keep it for as long as possible.

I have had a few issue that have needed sorting since I've had it. Strangely I have replaced both front suspension springs (on separate occasions, both became apparent at MOT time). One rear arch has been sorted, the other is just beginning to blister and will need doing in the next year or so and have also replaced a corroded rear brake pipe. But that is about it, so far...!

This other issue is a new one, the ABS/Traction Control lights have recently illuminated on the dash, so I will need to take a look at that. I presume it is likely that it is a sensor but does anyone have any tips or help or guides to troubleshooting the problem and then replacement? It may be better if I re-post this question in a separate section of the forum, as it might get a little lost in this post - I will see what sort of replies I get (or not)...

Overall, I think the Puma is a great drivers car, it handles well and I love the 1.7 engine. The biggest gripe for me is the build quality is surprisingly poor, particularly for something built in Germany. Things like the trim and the raft of design glitches and common problems across the model - fortunately, there are few that are bad enough to put you off ownership and for the money you can buy one for now, they are superb value for money...! Thanks for anyone that has bothered reading this and I hope this is a good (and useful) community for a Puma owner to be... :grin:

Abs could be a sensor or tone ring, suggest plugging in an obd reader and finding out the fault, changing sensors is pretty easy, 1 bolt and a plug, however they are often rusted in.
Whereabouts are you as there is probs a member with an obd reader close
By the way welcome.

Hi to a fellow newbie :D unfortunatly warning lights are not my strong point lol but as said above sounds bout right :D

Thanks guys.

Blue3 said:
Abs could be a sensor or tone ring, suggest plugging in an obd reader and finding out the fault, changing sensors is pretty easy, 1 bolt and a plug, however they are often rusted in.
Whereabouts are you as there is probs a member with an obd reader close
By the way welcome.

I'm in North Herefordshire, Leominster. If there's no one nearby, I wonder if it's worth me getting one of those cheap obd readers - do you think that would pick up the fault code for abs?

You can check the sensors by measuring the resistance across each one from memory.

Thanks very much for everyone's help on this - I will try doing a check of the sensors first and see if there is anything obvious (connections, resistance, tone ring damage, etc) and then if nothing found consider the odb reader route. Just a couple of things that concern me; what am I looking for on the tone rings? and I am a little unclear about the obd readers - are we saying the budget ones won't pick up the abs fault codes? Thanks guys...

The tone rings need to be in one piece with no breaks/bits missing. Study the gap between the sensor and the ring as you turn the hub. The gap should be consistent all the way round.
You could try cleaning the rings too. I've held a small wire brush against the ring while turning the hub. Should clean off any loose debris.

I've no experience with the readers though.

And... Welcome!

Suspension coil springs...........My wife had a Ford Ka 9 years old & ALL of her springs broke a few years ago.Apparently Trading Standards are looking into it as they are made in China & the metal is not up to specks.Ford have 'plausible deniabilty' as they say it's not our fault we did not make them,so insist the customer takes the hit buying more deficient springs.........& the world goes round.However after 13 years mine are still OK.

Back