No Biting Point

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcat

I have no trouble putting the clutch down or in changing gears. I'm also feeling a good pull as I accelerate away. But on setting off on any sort of slope or hill I'm having to put the handbrake on because I'm not able to feel any biting point when I bring the clutch up. Is this normal to not have any biting point on the FRP clutch, or is this a sign of my clutch going?

It sounds like its starting to slip under the extra strain of pulling off uphill, although I suppose your handbrake might be
sticking on and bogging it down

I forgot to say that I put the handbrake on to stop rolling backwards down slopes when I move off 'cause I can't tell where the biting point is.

Perhaps bleeding the clutch may help ?
Have you had a new clutch in it in the two years youve had it?

sounds like its past it's best for sure... :lol: they take quite a long time to actually proper fail, i wouldn't be happy driving on a weak clutch personally...spoils the drive..

Chris

quest63 said:
Have you had a new clutch in it in the two years youve had it?

Nope, but then I haven't done that many miles since buying it. Just commuting around my local area mainly.

Neil said:
Classic symptoms of a clutch letting go.

What do you mean by "letting go"?

On the way out, worn, knackered, shagged, expired, end of life etc.

tbh i got a 18 focus clutch put in mine after looking around on here and i'm very happy with it and you can get the whole lot off ebay (clutch kit and slave cylinder) for about £70, just need to get it fitted then.

Neil said:
On the way out, worn, knackered, shagged, expired, end of life etc.
It kaput, it's passed on. This Clutch is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late Clutch. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-Clutch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tomcat said:
Ahh, thanks. Nice comprehensive translation! :lol:

How's THIS for a replacement?

I used that clutch first it lasted just 500 miles, I had a tiny leak in the hydraulic hose of the clutch and it held air all the time so the clutch was partially engaging all the time, not the clutches fault. I had to fit a new hydraulic system pipes and master etc, I then fitted a heavy duty racing clutch, what a pain that is, very difficult to drive daily with it...I have had the worn clutch plate relined and am refitting it in the next few weeks...when my boys get a spare moment...so yes I think it is a good clutch if you have a goog hydraulic set up...ensure you have no leaks to your brake master cylinder....it feeds the clutch too...

Neil said:
Just don't get BodgeSpeed to fit it for you ;-)

Why, aren't PumaSpeed any good then? What about the clutch itself? Is it worth the price? Anyone got any better deals?

mine went a few years ago...the standard clutch they put in the frp just isnt up to it! mine was slipping if driving at 50mph and then 'booting it', other than that i never noticed...still did 2500 miles to the south of france and back, passing through the alps

i use the focus 1.8, dont read the hype; yes its only rated to not a lot bhp but its designed for a heavier car. look in my gearbox rebuild guide and you can see a pic of a focus one next to a puma one. The focus 1.8 is 220mm not 210 and its also smaller on the inside; its a much 'wider' clutch so well up to the abuse of a eager frp driver (iv snapped a driveshaft, cv joint, stub axle and wrecked a gearbox mount; all on one focus clutch! oh and its still going!)

they're cheap and because its oem its very light to press down (slightly lighter than the puma one i reckon)

jacko said:
mine went a few years ago...the standard clutch they put in the frp just isnt up to it! mine was slipping if driving at 50mph and then 'booting it', other than that i never noticed...still did 2500 miles to the south of france and back, passing through the alps

i use the focus 1.8, dont read the hype; yes its only rated to not a lot bhp but its designed for a heavier car. look in my gearbox rebuild guide and you can see a pic of a focus one next to a puma one. The focus 1.8 is 220mm not 210 and its also smaller on the inside; its a much 'wider' clutch so well up to the abuse of a eager frp driver (iv snapped a driveshaft, cv joint, stub axle and wrecked a gearbox mount; all on one focus clutch! oh and its still going!)

they're cheap and because its oem its very light to press down (slightly lighter than the puma one i reckon)

The regular Focus 1.8 clutch will fit the FRP? Interesting. Any mods needed to fit to the FRP? What about the OEM Focus ST or RS clutches?

Yeh, it'll fit straight on. If flywheel is worn you should really have it skimmed flat but mine was ok. Just had a full engine rebuild and that flywheel was skimmed ready for a new focus clutch. Old one is still fine but I'm putting a new one in while I'm there

Can't go bigger than a focus 1.8 as they use the mtx gearbox. Must be an ib5 clutch

paulob1 said:
ensure you have no leaks to your brake master cylinder....it feeds the clutch too...
Not strictly true. There is no mechanical link between the clutch and brake systems.

They merely share a fluid resevior which is partitioned into 3 sections to prevent fluid loss in one circuit causing loss of other circuits.
2008-02-29_070351_graphic.jpg

if there was a loss of fluid then it would cause the opposite symptoms eg the clutch wouldnt disengage at all

Back