no dash lights

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plezz

hi all, just gave my wife the keys to her car, but when started it up for the first time in the dark i noticed something rather odd...

i turned the headlights on, but noticed the interior lights didnt come on as they should. the lights on the window buttons came on, as did the light behind the dashboard clock, but the lights behind the speedo, the lights on the heater control, the lights behind the heated window control etc all stayed off. the actual functions themselves seemed to work - eg the heated windows came on, the dial on the rev counter moved as it shoudl etc.

im thinking its possibly a fault with one of the fuses, but wondered if anyone out there had heard of anything similar?

also, it may help, but we noticed that even after leaving the engine running for 20 minutes, the air was still blowing cold when it was turned up to maximum heat. is this likely to be a related fault, or a totally separate issue?

if anyone can help or offer some advise where to look, it would be very appreciated.
cheers, plezz

When you turn the bit on the indicator stalk to the first point (dash lights, rear and sidelights) did you notice whether your sidelights and rear lights turned on or not?

If they didn't, it's a fairly common problem in that the contacts on the indicator stalk have dried out a little. Spray WD40 into the bit you turn, and turn it back and forth a few times to work the lubricant in. That should cure it if that's the problem.

If not, let us know. :eek:k:

Hi Cherie, when i turned the stalk the side lights did come on - one of them didnt as i think it may have blown which is what makes me think it could be a fuse problem. everything does seem to work as normal when i turn the stalk, to either first position or second (head lights on), its literally just the dash lights which dont come on - but the light behind the clock does, and the lights on the electric window buttons do.

i'll be able to take a proper look at the weekend, but am hoping to get a few ideas where to look.

check fuse no 2 and 6,if its the left handside side light doesnt work check 6 first,if that side is ok then check fuse 2...

Thanks Martin, I'll give that a look tonight. if it makes any difference to anyone, while the lights on the speedo and rev counter dont work, the warning lights ie handbrake light, low petrol light, full beam warning light etc all work.

its literally just the dials, the heater lights, and lights behind the buttons on the radio (if the standard radio is supposed to light up??).

hey all, looks like i may have found the root of the problem. i took Martin's advice, checked fuse number 6 and its well and truly blown! i'm gonna head to Halfords for another and that should sort me out!

And i wanted to say a big thank you for all your help and advice there guys.

Cash Back!!

ARGHH!!! ARRRGGHH!!!

i left the interior light on when i went to halfords and now i have a dead battery, and its asking me to put the code on the radio - which i dont have!!

i also changed the fuse anyway, thought i may as well while i'm in the car stressing out.

so i put the new fuse in and as soon as i turn the lights on, the new fuse blows INSTANTLY...

HELP!

you have an electrical fault somewhere,could well be on the stalk,check the wiring to the headlight aswell,making sure the connector is pushed in correctly,also disconnect the hcv valve and replace fuse,if it doesnt blow when lights are turned on it could well be the hcv valve that is causing the problem...

i hope your right there! the heater is only blowing cold at the moment, so i was going to change the HCV next. it would be very handy and kill 2 birds with one stone if it was! lol its a pain as the fuses werent cheap! (halfords after all), and now i have to go buy some jump leads...

this is just a thought - if the new fuse blew as soon as i turned the lights on, if its NOT caused by the HCV, could a replacement HCV be blown in the same way as soon as its installed? i only ask, as its 35 quid i dont want to rinse if the problem is something else and it could potentially be blown just as quickly...

Latest posts

Back