No Power Over 4k

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaJay

Been having a few issues with my Puma over the couple of months so the other night I switched back to my old original ECU to see if that helped matters.... It didnt so I put my FRP mapped TAPE ECU back in and since then the car has ran like a bag of bolts.

For a start it really struggles from cold, I think the lambda sensor is failing and can really struggle to get up the revs, miss firing like mad. I only do very very short journeys to and from work so the car never really gets warmed up properly and unfortunately im having to use the Puma everyday at the moment which isnt ideal.

Last night I took the car on a long drive down the M1 and a bit of b road driving and covered around 65 miles in the hope that getting it nice and hot might help out a bit but it didnt. Putting your foot down in any gear it pulled nicely right up to 4200rpm when the VCT should activate and there was a definite step I could feel and it felt like the VCT wasnt working, It was painfully slow in 3rd/4th over the 4200rpm.

Im thinking the VCT solenoid may have failed as well.....

Funny thing is it all worked fine before I took the TAPE ecu off, I just wanted to see if it was that that was causing the car to over fuel.

I'm going to start by robbing the parts off my brothers puma and see if that helps. Maf/lambda. Then try and flush the oil out of the but solenoid and put some fresh stuff in.

Hope you get it sorted easily Jay, dunno if disconnecting the battery and setting the MAF (and ICV) correctly will make a difference if you hadn't? Great news about Autosport 2016 at the NEC btw.

Ive already tried the ECU reset and that didnt work and I havent had chance to steal my brothers parts. I think im gonna get a new lambda, idle control valve and MAF. Run some engine flush through it and then drop the oil next weekend. Hopefully that will cure it.

If not im off out to buy another Puma tonight anyway so will just swap the bits off that one when im done with it.

I know this is a really old post but was just wondering if you ever found out this problem with the loss of power above 4K?

I had the same problem on mine was running sweet then the clutch Was changed an left me with no power at all :oops:

Latest posts

Back