Non starting Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magyrato

Well I get all the lights on the dash but when you turn the key just the good old solenoid click. It starts with jump leads without a problem. Drive it round for about half an hour. Stop the engine then try for a re start nothing but clicking solenoid again. So am I correct in thinking the battery has died on me? I can't think of anything else, there's no battery light on when the engine is running and the alternator is only a few months old. The batterys age isn't known to me and I can't see anything in the indicator window.

Usual suspects would be battery or starter motor...

... maybe the battery just hasnt got quite enough charge to start it... tried a multi-meter?

Something I don't possess at the moment unfortunately, the starter motor seems fine on the jump leads it fires perfectly. Battery is the favourite culprit especially as it seems to be gaining no charge what so ever. I can't think what has drained it either I didn't leave the lights on or anything like that.

Check the tightness of the cables onto the battery.
Also the battery earth cable.

If the battery is over 4 years old it is likely to need replacing.

You tried giving it a good run? A good way to see how strong your battery is can be sitting in it at night with the lights on, then putting the rear demister on. How much the lights dim will tell you what its lile.

Or the starter motor.....
(Just to add another option)

Ignore me then...
(as usual)

Battery was the culprit.
Sixty quid from the ford Service place just up the road. Which was £25 cheaper than Halfrauds. Partco or whoever they are now were a little cheaper but by the time I'd driven there it wasn't worth it.
Many thanks all for the advice and replies.

Latest posts

Back