NOS - Dont knock it till you try it

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benking

Right as we all know there has been a lot of debate about nitros. I was allways open minded about it, and wanted to see it for my self and try get a better understanding of it. So i have been speeking to el dude (Chris) about going to see his car, well tonigh i did.

First of all the car its self was amazing, realy nice example. He started the demo explaining how it worked to me and opened the boot and it was empty!! There was a small bracket at the vack of the boot which he then attached the bottle. Was amazed there was still enough space to put a decent shop from tescos in. He then lifted the bonnet and showed me how it all worked in the engine, Being 100% honest it looks like a standard FRP engine bay nothing jumps out and says this car has NOS. Only when you look deeper do you actually see the small additions the kit comes with, but looks stock.

Then he invited me into the car and opned the glove box and inside was a digital display box with a massive amount of info on, settings etc. This is the brain of the kit. Gives info on RPM, NOS pressure, Fuel pressure and so much more. There are stting for each gear (all fully ajustable). A very cleaver piece of kit.

I can not stress enough after seeing how its all put together, works etc how sophisticated and precise this kit is. There are so many things that act like fail safes which are amazing and i suppose if you have the kit reasuring. The box controls every thing but also gives you the freedom to experiment.

Anyway, we went for a drive. Came off the roand about pretty much imediately hit a long straight and over took about six cars with absolute ease it is so smooth. It just pulls with absolute ease. The best thing about the kit is the NOS is only there when you want it, its fitted with so many fuctions, one of them being that to get the NOS to work you foot has to be on the floor, slightly less and its a normal FRP. Floor it, and instant power its amazing. As a passenger it was quite a ride, and the power did not seem to compramise the handling in anyway, if any thing emphasise it.

We then pulled over and Chris said i could have a go :D :D I felt like a little kid at christmas lol Chris explained more about how it works then said to try it. Set off and i was driving an FRP, lovely, Floored it , Amazing!! The power is constant and so so smooth

The best was to describe it is, imagine that feeling when all the power comes in at a certain revrange, well imagine having that instantly as you press the pedal to the floor all throughout the rev range.

Now i know what you thinking, when that happens you will be thrown back in he seat, well yeah you are but not like how your thinking, not violently, but like how you would be in a normal car. I cant stress enough how sweet and smooth it is its effortless.

Chavvy - No. Its way way to technicle, its not like slapping a massive spoiler and massive rims on a corsa, this is a very very sophisticated peice of kit, almost geekish

Takes up space - No. Bottle is in when you want it with enough space, and take it out when you want a boot.

Cheating - No. Its so sophisticated that its made and fitted to work with the car. I got that wrong. i said it was cheeting, but then so is a turbo if this is

I can see absolutely no reason not to consider this as an option if instant power is what you are after. Tubos and superchargers are great but, value for money, The way it works, the science and technicle side of it has won me over.

Definately a mod for the future and a mod id praise all day long :eek:k:

ps: Cheers eldude (Chris) :eek:k:

has he still got the b&q ali mesh front grills?
sounds pretty awesome tbh but still not my thing;
1) i wouldnt trust anyone to play with my car that much (have you ever looked (really looked) at how bodged the 'professionals' (really good ones) fit an alarm system.... but then most people never discover the bodges (or breakages!!!) in the depths of the car...they just realise theres a new faint rattle
2) the con rods are effectively made from glued powdered metal! i love bouncing off the rev limiter as much as the next person but knowing that little bit of info does make me cringe...with std power! granted it all seems lovely & fluffy & well designed but i just wouldnt trust a stressed zetec se (notice van aaken stopped selling the turbo kit for the 1.25 fiesta!!!?!!!). prob being a bit too nannyish as many seem to have done it....& it even looks like cosworth can rebuild the zetec se iv found out. plus the zetec se is a small run of engines, very few upgrades (id want steel rods....custom order...to be happy)
it does sound like chris' frp has been fitted out in a grown up way but every nos'd car iv seen is as chavvy as hell! i wouldnt buy an rs for the same reason as i wont have nos
personal differences.....but the stressed engine would worry me....but my cars a keeper.....
me & chris have our differences, granted, but mainly i cant take a car 'enthusiast' seriously when they ditch poly bushes for original, dont like upgraded engine mounts, dont drive the car daily, wont improve a flawed design, cant see the benefit of a stronger 'standard ford' clutch etc etc.... its like me standing here & saying the sky is green! youd think i was mad or a complete muppet!

Not sure I agree on the bush debate Jacko - why the hell would you voluntarily want to make your FRP even harder and even more uncomfortable? Chris fitted standard bushes all round for me a few months back, and I much prefer them. (Powerflex on my old Kat just proceeded to rattle the whole thing to pieces!)

Sorry, bit OT there - Chris, you need to take me out in your car!

jacko said:
me & chris have our differences, granted, but mainly i cant take a car 'enthusiast' seriously when they ditch poly bushes for original, dont like upgraded engine mounts, dont drive the car daily, wont improve a flawed design, cant see the benefit of a stronger 'standard ford' clutch etc etc.... its like me standing here & saying the sky is green! youd think i was mad or a complete muppet!

Enthusiats come in many shapes and sizes. Your both different ends of the spectrum.

This topic is very much, tomato, tomata, potato, potata

SuperCharger or turbo??

Each to there own.

I cant deny what your saying about the stresses on the engine, there has to be some. But tuning does that anyway. It just depends what you way. Id be hapy to fit a mod that would ruin my car in 2 years that significantly improved performance. Only because i want another in that time frame.....if i oned an FRP it would be totally different. If you used it all the time, im pretty sure your car would be ruined, run a turbod car on the limit, or normal car on the limit that would be the same.

Like said above its only there when you want it so unless you drive like a knob (which we all know will ruin your car anyway) You hardly ever use it + the stress on the engine is minimal as when its get to high revs the car is propelled by mainly just engine power

waffle as usual.... lol..

Chris, you need to take me out in your car!

no probs... ;)

do B&Q sell aluminium mesh..? can anyone confirm this?..as that will be really handy when comes the time to replace it after next paintwork job... Sorry it's not titanium, i'm only a poor musician... lol

I thought it looked good, actually didnt question it till now, it actually stood out to me and looked like it was allready there

I think you can get mesh from B & Q

I looked at the stuff in halfords but i didnt think much of it. Apparently you can't get hold of OEM lower mesh any more so i'm lookin for something similar to the original corner meshes so I can make mine a matching pair as currently they aren't.

Anyway this is a bit off topic. Sorry.

I've nicked his old clutch! Unfortunatley it's sitting under my bed at the min doing bugger all.

I was thinking about How much it costs to get near 160 - 180 BHP out the standard 1.7 and then to go beyond that its silly money. but at the same time sort of pointless. Now to turbo it is risky and not 100% fool proof (turbos go wrong and can cause damage, big damage). Superchargers swaps etc. Big money

When you think about it NOS is the perfect compramise. When you way up pros and cons turbos chargers and nos a kinda equal. It just depends what you want, budget, car you have and size of engine so will probably effect the way you look at this product

If you want more power, buy a different car.

Simple.

Agreed...

Went out in my mates new Integra Type R the other day. I must admit I did have a slight inkling I'd bought the wrong car....

Its not though, not if you want more power from this car ;)

If you wanted more power and didnt want this car you would buy a different car

The FRP looks swayed it for me

That and the fact I loved my 1.7 and always wanted an FRP since they first came out.

yep, can get it from b&q altho i dont think they do it big enough....and its soddin expensive!
only reason titanium is better is cos the ali will rot, esp where it is, uv done well so far cos the bugs will scratch the coating off & the water will corrode it.... (i get my titanium as offcuts from the states, prob cost me less than your ali from an industrial supplier...amazingly expensive for what it is)

spose i cant argue too much, i want to put a 2.5 V6 in mine, 4WD and a seq gearbox; madness to most people! only keeping the frp cos of the looks

not playing with the zetec, not worth it in the long run. porsche designed steel lined v6 for me (but we all know im a bit special!!!)

How much does it cost to fill up the bottle? What kind of usage do you get from a full bottle? Sounds like a quality install to me. I love fancy read-outs, displays etc

Latest posts

Back