OBDkey diagnostics tool

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Right, I now have an ODB key diagnostics tool.

Its Bluetooth, with Windows, Palm, Smartphone and Windows mobile compatible. My understanding is that it will work with the Puma, ( need to check ) and therefore I'm happy to loan it out if Postage etc is paid, and borrower accepts liability if it gets lost in post on return.

Also, it will be with me at most meets, including FF 2008.

Is this the tool to read faults such as ABS sensor malfunction etc? Stick it in the boot when you come to Cambridge next month ;)

Its going to be semi perm fit in the Brabus anyway, the WM5 output give dash output to work on my now redundant M5000 phone

I looked at getting one of these once to mount below the ashtray or in it..

.. maybe one day..

Also thought about just getting the software to hook my laptop up to the car.. again only a pipe dream currently lol.

Demontweeks do a nice one for a few hndred quid, can display up to 10 or so different engine stats, like oil temp and stuff, plugs into your ecu port. Would look nice mounted properly.

Direct from obdkey.com.

Bluetooth was £100 or there abouts. cant remember off top of me head.

need to check though as Puma uses PWM but should work with possible a crossover. Needs bit more investigating

their blurb

Locating your OBD connector can be a difficult task as vehicle manufacturers tend to hide away the socket. But it is worth knowing that the OBD connector will always be found inside the vehicle and within easy reach from the driver's set position. Check in the driver's foot well, under the steering wheel, behind panels in the dashboard fascia and the central area between the driver's seat and the passenger seat. Some connectors have been located behind ashtrays, under the passenger seat and even over by the passengers door.

Once you find the OBD connector, check which pins which are present. The view above is shown looking into the connector, with the locating "bump" at the bottom.

The connector must have pins 4, 5 for ground connections and pin 16 for 12 volt power supply from the vehicle battery.

The following connections are dependent on the protocol in use by the vehicle:

Pin 2 and pin 10 for SAE J1850 (PWM or VPWM) protocols.

Pin 7 for ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230 (KWP2000) communications. Pin 7 is also known as the K-Line.

Pin 15 is also known as the L-Line. may or may not be present for these protocols.

Pin 6 and pin 14 are present for CAN bus (ISO 15765-4) protocols.

Generally speaking the following vehicles have these protocols:

VPWM: General Motors, Chrysler

PWM: Ford models to 2003 with EEC-V engine management system. Including Ford Cougar (all UK models), Ford Puma (1.6 and 1.7), Ford Fiesta Zetec models to 2003, Ford Mondeo Zetec models to 2003, Ford Focus to 2003. Newer Jaguar S-Type and Jaguar X-Type. Pre 2004 Mazdas

ISO / KWP2000: Most European and Asian manufacturers. Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMW, Citroen, Fiat, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar (X300, XK), Jeep since 2004, Kia, Land Rover, Mazda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault, Saab, Skoda, Subaru, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volkswagen (VW) since 2001, Volvo to 2004

CAN: Ford, Mazda, Volvo since 2004. Some vehicles have a CAN bus system along side the ISO/KWP2000 system for diagnostics as well as inter-module communications.

OBDKey supports OBD-II Compliant

Latest posts

Back