Oil leak, possible head gasket

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimkey83

I have a 99 Puma with less than 34000 on the clock.
I was advised of a oil leak when I got the car checked a year ago but it was minor.
I noticed a wet patch on the passenger side a few days ago , I have taken this to the garage and they advised it looks like the head gasket and it is blowing out oil, they could not confirm and advised the cam gasket looks like it is leaking so this may be the cause.
They advised me to get the cam gasket done to see if this works and they will be able to clean the engine etc to confirm the oil leak location at a cost of £75.
They said if it is the head then this gasket would need to be done anyways and the cost for the head would be around £600.

Basically I am just checking whether this is accurate and whether a car with less than 34000 could have its head go?
Literally the only plus point is I need the Cam belt done and this was advised would cost £250 but this would be factored into the £600 ish head price

Hi Jim
It will almost certainly be the rocker cover gasket that's leaking as it's a common fault. Make sure, if you have it done, that they use a genuine ford gasket, they cost circa £35. As for the cambelt change it's a pig of a job and only to be entrusted to garages that have regularly done this job before and have all the special tools. Search on here for many tales of woe regarding bad cambelt changes.
Barry

Sorry to hear of your trouble, to be honest low mileage has little bearing however head gasket failure is pretty uncommonly heard of but not unknown.

I'd be more inclined to check the rocker cover gasket first which is above and is a common source of oil leaks. If you can get a torch and attempt to identify the source from the top then this might help answer the question.

Ok, will have a look, not great with cars.
Where is the rocker cover on the ford puma 1.7?
Is it still worth getting the cam gasket done as they advised this is leaking or shall I check?
Th garage I am using are reliable and have always remedied the problem, I am normally quite good at diagnosing problems on my car so normally buy the parts and they fit.
Im just worried it is the head, its alot of money which I dont have.
Extra question do ford pumas on cam belt changes need water pumps.

Thanks James

Hi James
The rocker cover gasket is the one on the top cover of the engine. If you take off the plastic silver cover off the top of the engine the rocker cover is directly beneath and is probably the same thing as you're calling the cam gasket.
Even if the garage you are using are reliable if they haven't done a belt change on a 1.7 Puma before they could still balls it up. I would refer them to Ford TIS and Gates technical bulletin #036 or better still use a recommended fitter on here.
Yes it's good practise to change the water pump whilst doing a cambelt change.
Barry

Jimkey83 said:
[post]351866[/post] I have taken this to the garage and they advised it looks like the head gasket
Jimkey83 said:
[post]351869[/post] Th garage I am using are reliable and have always remedied the problem
What were the compression test figures for each cylinder that led your garage to that conclusion?

Hi,

Thanks, I thought it was this, I will check later today.
How would I know which garage to use and how would I discreetly ask if they have done a cam belt in the past without making it sound like I dont trust them.
The garage did not do any tests, they looked under and believe possibly it may be the head but when they do the cam gasket they will be able to see better.
The oil has ran down the engine and along part of the exhaust and flicking onto other parts.
I have not noticed any oil on the ground but I could see the passenger side looked very wet.

James

Hi James
I would just ask the garage straight out as you have been informed by someone on here that cambelt changes (on the 1.7) are difficult and require special tools and techniques. Alternatively, depending on where you live, there may be someone near to you recommended on here.
Barry

Jimkey83 said:
[post]351874[/post] How would I know which garage to use
Just as Barry has written above. Also, just to make sure we're on the same page, why do you want to get the cam belt changed? :)

Ok, I will have a look to see if I can find any garages, still working my way through the site.
I dont know when the cam belt was last done and I have had the car for just under a year, advised to get it changed if I dont know.

Jimkey83 said:
[post]351878[/post] I dont know when the cam belt was last done and I have had the car for just under a year, advised to get it changed if I dont know.
Sounds good. This might help - http://www.projectpuma.com/viewforum.php?f=93

Latest posts

Back