Oil type semi or fully synthetic?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepingcat

Hi guys,

Just getting my oil & filter changed, at protyres
In gloucester ( done back in shifting 3 tonnes of soil from garden). Guy at desk said should use semi
Synthetic 5/30 on car over 100,000 miles as it can
blow top end if you use fully? He used to work
for Ford & they got a lot of knackered top
ends (presume he means valves / cams).

Not heard this before?

Blokes talking male cows. Ford now spec fully synth for the zetec se as they no longer produce semi. Semi is just the same as fully anyway with additives etc.
Either is fine though. It's hardly a highly strung engine for it to matter that much. Perhaps if you used it hill climbing or racing it might, but not everyday driving.

used fully synthetic in my old puma over 100k on clock and it never used a drop of oil with it in,he is only saying to use semi because they bulk buy it

sleepingcat said:
He used to work
for Ford & they got a lot of knackered top
ends (presume he means valves / cams).

Not heard this before?

lol..doesn't say much for Ford mechanics :lol:

they get a lot knackered engines because a lot of people drive from one year to the next without checking the levels... my brother in law has a focus that is 6 or 8 years old now and never seen a service..lol :lol:

I worked for Ford for 6 years and the only Zetec SE's I saw with top end wear were down to neglect,abuse or high mileage

el dude said:
sleepingcat said:
they get a lot knackered engines because a lot of people drive from one year to the next without checking the levels... my brother in law has a focus that is 6 or 8 years old now and never seen a service..lol :lol:

How is that thing still running?! :shock:

Bought the old dear a car in July 2007 and she's never had it serviced or even had an oil change on it. Just kept topping it up and calling me when something else went kaput. If I couldn't fix she reluctantly & grudgingly paid for someone else to do the minimum to get it running again.

It finally gave up the ghost last week but I've washed my hands of it as I was sick of telling her that it needs to be maintained more than when something goes wrong or it'll bite you in the arse when you need it most.....it did :roll:

yippeekiay said:
I was sick of telling her that it needs to be maintained more than when something goes wrong or it'll bite you in the arse when you need it most.....it did :roll:

:lol:

I think thats the jist of it... spending money on a car is just an annoyance for the general public, they really just want to spend as little as they possibly can on it... wanli tyres ..hell yes please!.. :lol:

Thanks guys, thats put my mind at rest.
Especially as I had already bought 10 litres of
The fully syn stuff. This is first oil change since
I bought puma end of march - so will probably
Change it again in about a month to clear
out any crud.

Thanks

Back