The Almost Free Rover 218vvc Tomcat..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So non-Rover fans (except you Lee, because you're as daft as me!!) it's MoT day!

How did it do in its four years? Well, bloody good to be fair. It failed on the sill as I expected, and they can't find time to weld it until Tuesday so it's the walk of shame home. Not even an advisory. So mad I couldn't get it welded up before the test.

While I was waiting I looked at the past test in 2013 where it had done 88242 miles. I drove it 39 miles to the test centre today and it now has 88284. That means it's basically done 3 miles since it's last test. I probably did 2 driving round after doing the brakes. He must have tested it, had discs and pads put on, and then parked it up.....

Why didn't he just sell it?! Oh well, my gem now, until the Mrs tells me it has to go anyway!!!

Yes, I am pretty daft, but there's something about these old Rovers that really gets under your skin. I would never have chosen the MG to buy, but I've really come to enjoy it.

A small rust hole on the sill is pretty good going for the age of the car. Hoping that when it's MOT'd, you'll finally add some good miles to it!

It's great to see this being fixed up. I have a soft spot for rovers, having had a mk2 214 and then a mk3 vi. The vi has the VVC engine. I kinda wish I'd kept the vi and fixed it up rather than scrapping it about 6 years ago (combination of rust & HGF).

The VVC (Variable Valve Control / Very Very Complicated) has 4 inlet camshafts, one per cylinder. This is why there is a gap. There is an eccentric drive to each (in both senses!) so that they speed up and slow down during the rotation. The excentricity (or rather the effect of it) can be varied so that the duration of the valve opening changes.
To get a picture of the way it works, imagine two bicycle wheels side by side and with a stick through the spokes on both. If the two axles are aligned the wheels spin together. Now imagine one wheel is driven at a fixed speed and has the stick fixed to a spoke. The axle of the second wheel is now offset slightly, which means the stick has to slide along it's spokes as the wheel rotate. As the stick moves closer to the axle the wheel speeds up and as it moves away the wheel slows down. This is what happens to the inlet valve camshaft. The VVC mechanism controls the valve opening by moving the 'stick' along the 'spoke' of the first wheel. The further the stick is from the axles the less the speed of the second wheel varies.

The valve duration adjustment only happens from about 4krpm upwards. It should keep pulling from there all the way to the limiter, which iirc is 7,250rpm. Peak power isn't much below that. If it's running out of puff then the VVC mechanism might be sticking. Mine made some funny noises 'on song' a few times after an extended period of inactivity but it soon settled out.

Good luck with it, I must admit to being a little jealous.

Top post WeeBilly! I almost understand it now! :lol:

If you put the HGF issues aside (I know it's a big thing to put aside), they really are fantastic engines. Light, powerful and tuneable. They make a great noise on full chat too.

Really looking forward to digging mine out of the garage...

So where were we up to...... well, the old Tomcat got its ticket and I treated it to a cambelt change whilst it was there as I'd not got all the service history at that point so wanted to be safe. Was a bit mad when I discovered they'd not changed the right hand side VVC belt too. Cue the argument that VVC's have two belts...... Sod's law the rest of the service history turned up a week later, and there was piles of it! The last service at 80k was a head gasket, full service, water pumps and of course all the belts! Oh well, better to be safe than sorry.

So after that, was time to turn my attention to the dodgy drivers window as I looked a bit of an idiot turning up at work and having to open the door to wave my pass at the security gate! Took the door card off and was kind of gobsmacked. This car has not wanted for anything all its life. Main dealer service history for everything, and how was the window fixed when the cable snapped? That'll be a screw through the channel! What?!!!!! Managed to find a complete window cassette from a breaker so that was a spot of luck.

Next up was the interior, and like I'd done on the Puma I wanted to make the seats mint and the leathers I'd bought had a nasty gash in the drivers bolster. The kit provides some amazing flexible filler to repair them and wow, it came out good!! Sprayed the whole seat in matched dye. The biggest faf was masking up all the contrast black stitching!

Finish is really good. Not perfect at the stitching was poor already, but not bad for a cheap interior!

Next up was spraying the new spoiler I'd got as the old one had made a permanent bid for freedom with all the fixings corroded. A total bargain at £48 brand new! My friend has a spray booth for furniture, so a decent rattle can and sterile working environment and it was done. Pics are before flatting back and polish and it looks first class!

As a splurge of over exuberance, and because the rear wheel was losing air from around the bead, I got all four wheels refurbished for an amazing £120. They really set the car off now and also stay up!

Whilst the wheels were off I tidied up all the inner arches and painted the discs and calipers. Also fixed the rust on the rear arch. The finish is good but thanks to me skimping on Halford paint instead of getting the decent stuff I did for the spoiler the colour match isn't perfect.

Next up was a really good machine polish and wow, it's come up a million dollars. Not bad for a £50 neglected Rover!

So that's it. Car finished and I love it!! Been using it for work all week and it's a head turner with plenty of people saying, wow, not seen one of those for ages and what good condition. Always worth the effort when you get those comments!

Sadly, I have no room or time for it moving forward as there is a bump on the way, so they money invested it needed back out. Bugger! I'm a bit gutted but it will be a great car for someone. It did have a minor strop as I was taking the pictures though and cut out, refused to start and just clicked away from every relay!! Turn out a bad earth was all it was and we were back in business!

Anyone fancy a nice Tomcat?!!!!

That has turned out to be one very smart looking motor, top job, shame you now have to part with it though.
Hope you find a good home for it, sad to say my car fund for this year is all used up otherwise that may well have found a home up here in Scotland :grin:

I would love it, you've done well. Current circumstances mean I need less toys and not more, but hopefully only temporarily. Hope you got/can get a good price, and that the car goes to someone that keeps it on the road.

WeeBilly said:
[post]362841[/post] I would love it, you've done well. Current circumstances mean I need less toys and not more, but hopefully only temporarily. Hope you got/can get a good price, and that the car goes to someone that keeps it on the road.

Well, it sold after a week and got a decent price. Gutted to see it go to be honest!

It looked great when it was all sorted out, glad you got a good return on your effort :D

tuonokid said:
[post]362859[/post] Some people just have too many toys James :grin:
Barry

Sadly this is true! At six cars, it had to go!

Latest posts

Back