Opinions on back boxes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

si1881

Hi, got a very tatty standard back box at the moment which although isn't blowing yet it can't be far off (all the outer skin has come away..).

I've had a trawl through on here and seems theres a lot of support for either the Piper or Milltech ones - i've found these two on Ebay and wonder if anyone has any experience of either and if they are too good to be true for the money. I do some long distance journeys so don't want a really loud one when on the motorway if possible... Don't really want to spend more that £125 at a max as got to get the front pads and discs done too!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....8994518&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_850wt_907

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....6555425&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_672wt_907

I have been looking for the same myself I think you might find those two exhausts are the same thing from different sellers with different prices. I was quoted £65+ vat for a replacement one with chrome oval tailpipe from my local car shop.Pumabuild do replacements for £55.99 this may be plus vat and postage as well not stainless though. Did you get sorted yet?

Not got anywhere with swapping anything over yet - car is off the road until I've sold my other one so exhaust cost can wait for a bit - plus the prob it still has a single piece system (which im guessing is original from the factory ....) so would have to be cut to put just a back box on which isn't that easy with it on the ground.

Do you need a full system to get the best sound/power from an exhaust? £600 seems alot for an exhaust system on a car thats only worth 2-3x that. Would you get a decent sound from just a upgraded backbox?

This is mine with just the cat back Milltek:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbe5qRotSb4[/youtube]

And you'll hear a Cherie giggle at the end of this one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk88ibA8uSY[/youtube]

It had done about 35,000 miles with it on by then.

£300 ish is a lot of money for a cat back exhaust, but you'll never have to worry about changing it again.

That system sound quite nice, excuse my lack of knowledge... but a cat back system? Is that a new system starting from the cat backwards? Or putting the cat at the back :shock: :lol:

It replaces the exhaust from the catalytic converter backwards.

The right hand one is what I had:

Ah thought it was, just wanted to make sure. Would you notice any performance increases from a cat back without a Re-map? I'm considering an upgrade later in the year :)

Not really. You'll ease the flow in that part of the system, but the bottle neck is the cat converter that is still there.

With the Milltek cat back and an FRP tinkered remap I got 129bhp / 130lbft so it's not much of a gain.

Dont buy a piper its a bit erm... too loud :p not good for long or regular journeys :D

got the sportex race pipe and backbox on mine around £150ish im happy with it not to noisey.bit of a pain getting it to fit but happy.

Just nipped out to take a video of mine, it's got the full Miltek system (de-cat).

Incase you're wondering after watching it, yes I took my shoe off so I didn't have to rest my phone on the gravel. :p

Yours sounds nice Marcus :)

Could you take a video of yours andy? £300 is quite abit of money for some metal tubes imo :p

Marcus000 said:
Just nipped out to take a video of mine, it's got the full Miltek system (de-cat).

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w292/marcus000/car/?action=view&current=VIDEO0018.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incase you're wondering after watching it, yes I took my shoe off so I didn't have to rest my phone on the gravel. :p

that sounds the same as mine,well it would do i have a full milltek to :lol: but with a 200 cell cat around £300 is just to the cat, that videos was with a 4-2-1 manifold and a decat, i do love the sound and when i just want to cruise i dont find it to loud either

@Madhillbilly17
Yup it's got the Miltek manifold on it as well, sounds lovely! :D

Here's another I've just taken, didn't push the load pedal quite as hard this time round:

Hello all,

Just found this forum, bought my Puma last week - still has original one piece exhaust system in place, the back box just started blowing.

Didn't fancy spending £300 on a full system so i'm gonna cut original and replace rear box only, Been looking at allsorts of websites finally decided today to order the Jetex back box available as a direct replacement - comes with fitting kit. cheapest I found was demon tweeks(believe it or not!) at £130.

Hopefully get it next week, I'll post to let you know what its like :cool:

Loooove the sound of milteks ....sexual!!!! ....Ive just got a stainless tipped backbox with a 3.5" oval slashcut ....found this guy off Ebay that custom made it for me with the sound i wanted and TBH think it sounds schweeeeeet! ....not too loud (at all) and not too deep, sounds nice when u want it to lol.... :wink: ....dosnt drone when on long drives and sounds awesome when around 4/5 grand. cost me £53 including the connector he made me too and gave me a bracket to hang it without welding too so all good. Happy with it untill i can afford a miltek full system ;) :p

Back