Pieces of cam belt teeth

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamen

I am just curious about what has happened here, it is not a problem.

I recently replaced my cam belt, and in the process I was cleaning up and discovered several teeth stuck in some oily goo down inside the cam belt's protective cover down at the drive shaft:

timingbeltpieces.jpg
According to the tensioners production date mark of 2003 and the sticker on the rocker cover that says the cam belt change was 7 years and 50k miles ago, it was old and it looked like a cracked leather belt, but it had all the teeth.

About 10 years ago I hit a rock while driving my previous Puma causing a rapid oil leakage that seized the engine (or something) so that the belt snapped, two valves were bent and Ford replaced the engine. But where did these teeth come from and why? When the Puma was rather new... Could this engine really survive missing at least 5 teeth?

Chances are they are from your original engine, garage probably replaced the engine without the ancilleries so things like timing cover, rocker cover etc would simply be swapped onto the "new" engine.

Back