Please help paint job SUCKS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grims_Puma

So after years of rusty arches I decided to finally tackle them, I sanded away the rust, applied the filler, sanded that away thought all is going good here. I then primer'd it left it to dry for 24 hrs, sanded that down till I thought it was smooth, then sprayed it (with paint matched from the paint code and bought direct from the manufacturer) Moon dust silver. Laquered it and then when dry removed the masking tape and paper.........OMG IT WAS DULLER THAN WATCHING AN EPISODE OF GLEE..... there is no shine to the pannel it is a horribly different colour you can see a deffinite line where the pannel has been sprayed and it is also very rough.
Has anyone got any tips on how to sort this short of completley stripping the paint of and getting a garage to do it? I will add some before during and after photo's when I get home.

When you spray it, make sure you go in different directions thereby making the paint speckle lay at different angles.

When I used to do my arches annually, I gave up with the spray cans and just used a touch up pen and "splodging" it on so the speckle goes in every which way. It doesn't give the smoothest of finishes, but it matches the colour better as it's brighter.

yeah I did that one coat up and down next left to right it looks horrible though. I Will upload my pics later, wish I had just left the spraying to the body shop as that is the easiest part removing the rust is the expensive bit for them.
Dal said:
When you spray it, make sure you go in different directions thereby making the paint speckle lay at different angles.

When I used to do my arches annually, I gave up with the spray cans and just used a touch up pen and "splodging" it on so the speckle goes in every which way. It doesn't give the smoothest of finishes, but it matches the colour better as it's brighter.

Silver is an arse to match at the best of times. :(

If it does not buff up and get shiney I will take it to a mate who I know of and get him to show me how to do it, these things should be easy lol
Dal said:
Silver is an arse to match at the best of times. :(

As you can see paint is clearly not right

OK so these are the pics from start to finish, it is not the best job you would have ever seen but for my first time it is not bad, I would have been a lot happier if the paint had come out shinny, I am having someone look at it for me and show me how to do it properly. Even with the dodgy paint I think it looks better than a rusty arch. It does look a bit better now as I have just waxed it but still a long way to go.

tbh you should have taken the tape all the way along the rear arch so it can blend in and also sprayed up to the door,but you need a few coats of a very good laquer to get the shine in the 1st place,i think jacko used halfords as he reckons its the best rattle can laquer you can get

Also the dullness of lacquer contributes to the mismatch, as metallic has to get enough reflection to lighten the colour.
Rub down with 1000 grade to take the edge of the masking line and to give the lacquer grip - lightly dust with base colour and blend towards the door after masking as ^^ martin ^^ indicated.
Remember also the distance of the can from the panel is proportionate to paint shade;
Hold the can closer = darker shade.
Hold the can further back = lighter shade.
Then build up the lacquer gradually.

Make sure you lightly dust with base colour, as fresh lacquered edges can react and peel with heavy base-coat.

Yeah I think i need more Lacquer on it, am seeking the help of a pro so hopefully he will be able to help me out. I used 1 small can of Lacquer already on it but it is a big area, it came with the spray paint from Ford.
Hopefully I will soon be able to upload some better photos of the paint job.
Thanks for the tips

Back