Poss blown/damaged exhaust..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimmyhill

After going on a large table top speed bump thing and hearing a loud and not nice noise my exhaust sounds a bit max power!

Fumes etc coming from just before back box, not had a chance to get it up on stands yet..

Short of going for a Milltek cat back it seems hard to get a OE exhaust cat back or bacbox if that is all i need - any ideas/places to go or look?

Also, is the back box jointed and it could just be a clamp thats gone?

I think that an original exhaust would be one piece. WHen I replaced my back box, I had to cut the pipe before it to get it off, but had to cut it in such a place that the new box would fit in the right place. I then used a clamp on the join.

Your best bet would be to have a look to see if you have a clamp there...

I have dug a picture out from last June when it was up on ramps...

20111220-8m62ww69upr5gmhbkui2xmtrwu.jpg

That seems to suggest it is 2 parts and a pretty corroded clamp!

Yep, that's pretty rusty!!

Hopefully, when you try and undo the bolts, it might shear the ends of the clamp off, so it just breaks away.

Theres lots of standard center sections and backboxes on ebay, just none in stainless steel like I would like.Lots of performance (allegedly) ones as well. Then theres the likes of powerflow and longlife and others who can make you one up.

Personally I will be going for a standard noise / performance stainless one with a flange set up to the backbox and a nice tailpipe if poss.

As rusty as yours looks I bet it could still put up the mother of all battles getting it off

20111221-n1rqhbs3yuqkwhqw62hb33h42.jpg

Had it on stands, looks to be a break in pipe as it goes into back box - looks like i need centre pipe bit at least and maybe back box depending on condition, given corrosion I'm expecting both!

Kwik fit/national etc are asking £200 for both parts but i am having it looked at by a local place that makes up exhausts in stainless steel for a quote.

Still tempted by the Milltek but finding them is proving hard these days

That looks like the join where the clamp should be... If so, the end of the middle section will probably still be stuck inside the pipe on the back of the back box.

Even if a stainless comes out at more than £200, think how long it would last compared to a standard one. Money saved in the long run....

Indeed, i have booked an appointment to have them look at the damage and quote for a new one in SS - my only worry is that i don't want a max power style one, i always intended to replace the whole lot with a Milltek but of course that was when i wanted to and my hand is forced at the wrong time of year - car tax needed also!

Will report back later!

From the enquires I made it was almost £200 just for the backbox in stainless from longlife exhausts and another company who's name escapes me.

I'm guessing Kwik fit/ National quotes for £200 were not stainless ones ??

quest63 said:
From the enquires I made it was almost £200 just for the backbox in stainless from longlife exhausts and another company who's name escapes me.

I'm guessing Kwik fit/ National quotes for £200 were not stainless ones ??

No mild steel.

I'm hoping lowlife are good as I'm having one made up in stainless with their boxes...

I'm hoping lowlife are good as I'm having one made up in stainless with their boxes...

lowlife eh? that must mean your not happy with the quote then lol

How much did they quote you and at what branch ??

Ha, that must have been an autocorrect i didn't notice!!!

Long life is what i meant!!

SCA in Norwich is where it is being done, just over £400

quest63 said:
£400 + ouch your auto correct was right first time around :lol:
Not far off what I paid for mine... Twin outlet, LongLife

06042011013_2.jpg

06042011014.jpg

Yours looks good,I guess you get what you pays for. From my viewpoint I just wanted a standard replacement exhaust no alleged extra power, and definately not any noisier in stainless steel. I would even settle for a standard round peashooter tailpipe, that I could get a decent trim for.

I just cant find one anywhere, and it just seems a pain to have to pay a premium to have a custom exhaust maker make a standard exhaust.

AAS Newcastle -£380 cat back custom hand made system. I'm very pleased with mine.

Do a search in Google to see the Stainless Steel goodness :cool:

Are you pleased with the longlife?

I paid extra as I didn't want anything too loud so has 2 boxes so could have cut a fair whack of the price for a louder one without 2nd box!

Tip wise it's a normal size round one, would have preferred a std oval one but none in stock, may see if original can go on or source a oval one that matches but will see what it looks like first!

Sorry for going off topic-ish but sheesh, here's me humming and harring about the cost of one I've seen for the Rex.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-RX8-RX-8-CATBACK-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-190HP-210HP-/350416382847?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item519671ab7f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheap I guess compared to a Puma one which is suprising :?

I'm very happy with mine.
Has two boxes... one in middle and large one under boot to allow for the twin outlets.
Noise wise, mid performance box. It's really quiet on idle, just noticable when driving 'normally' and makes some noise when I apply some beans.
It's not like the young kids who have these huge back boxes you can hear a mile away!

Sorry for going off topic-ish but sheesh, here's me humming and harring about the cost of one I've seen for the Rex.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-RX8-RX-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 519671ab7f

Bargain,I would be more than happy to pay that for a stainless exhaust for mine, but £400 is half the price of many Puma's.

Back