Project Silver rust

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty

Hello Every One :roll:

New to this forum, I have just purchased a 1.4 puma in silver for £850 of ebay one of those cars you buy after too much beer :p The first thing is to sort the rust out on the rear arches which will happen saturday. We used to replace sections of wheel arch on some that were only 2 year old, i used to pdi them when they were new, I worked for ford for 12 years as a technician.

How do you upload picture any help cheers.

I will upload pictures of arch replacement

Paul

S4200046.jpg

S4200045.jpg

S4200043.jpg

S4200044.jpg

Hi Paul,

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Have a look at this link http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=68736#p68736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for information regarding images!

Hope it helps else just give me a shout!

Thank you for your help on posting pictures

Wheel arch replacements are £20 each but need a little work but will make a good job.

The arch lip that is still on will be cut off it is only to make sure the line is right, i want to save as much as the original as possible.
the panel and arch will all be treated before welding the new in.

Paul

Todays progress arch welded in

S4200051.jpg

Cut the rest of the arch out.

S4200048.jpg

Cut the new arch up to fit.

S4200050.jpg

Rolled the edge as the repair panel edge is 45 degrees.

S4200052.jpg

Arch fitted and welded in, it was sprayed with weldthrough first, then welded then sprayed again.

Start of filling the wheel arch in these pictures.

S4200053.jpg

first coat of filler on top the zinc weldthrough

S4200054.jpg

Second coat of filler.

If i get time i will do some more tomorrow, after the body work is done all the running gear will be replaced discs pads brake pipes drums axles bushes as this going to be a full restoration for my wife. It is time to start looking for some 30mm lowering springs i think i will look for second hand, then when complete it will be sprayed in imperial blue pearl next year.

Paul

Check these out http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/puma_eibach_pro_spring_kit_328.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, better than getting second hand. Saving up for some myself. Have PM'd you ref arches.

Well i managed to get the wheel arch stoppard up and primed if i get time i will start the other side tomorrow.

S4200060.jpg

S4200058.jpg

S4200059.jpg

Paul

also are you interested in doing my rear arches for me lol top job there fella by the looks of it. really want mine doin as one side is starting to go so best do both and do it once ay :)

Hi
I have had a few hours on the puma today, put a bit of paint on until i get rid of all the rust then i will do all the finishing bits then paint both sides, the back arches have been painted about 9 to 10 times

S4200060.jpg

I started the other side arch, cut the rust out and welded new metal in.

S4200062.jpg

Filled and stoppered up ready for rubbing the same prep as the other one.

S4200063.jpg

Paul

Scotty
would love to change the wheels but their is to much needs doing before the bling goes on.

Clarkie

I just dont have enough time to start do arches at the moment, too busy with work the puma and the house,
cutting the arches out and welding them in is the esy part, filling them is time consuming

Paul

i know mate i do a lil bit of bodyowrk myself. for me the easy bit is the prep and filling, as i cant weld thats where i come stuck :(

I think it is time to teach some one to weld what do you think clarkie :lol: you do good bodywork, welding is not that hard. I bet with in 1 hour you would pick it up. :cool:

I have spent an hour rubbing the stopper down 1 coat of zinc primer then high build primer run out so i will by some from work tomorrow.

I will have it on the road shortly once i swop the private plates on the other car then i can sell the clio. Then i will start on the running gear noticed it has the usual first motion shaft wine in the gearbox so i will change the gear oil and put 75/90 semi in as i think someone has put 80/90 in puma's and fiesta's dont like it.

Paul

I will be able to get the arches for £20 each when the supplier gives the go ahead. They are not the original part but with a bit of work fit well.

Paul

Spent a couple of hours today on rusty or should i say lack of :cool:
Sealed all of the inner wheel arches, then 1 hour to get the rest of the locking wheel nuts off,no locking wheel nut key :p

i will see if i can paint both sides of the car as silver is a bitch match as it has been painted before with a hose :roll:

my number plates should be swapped over this week so it will be on the road.

S4200076.jpg

S4200067.jpg

S4200069.jpg

S4200070.jpg

I acquired a job lot of body sealer acid etch cavity wax about 60 tins of mixed

S4200073.jpg

Paul

nutty said:
I will be able to get the arches for £20 each when the supplier gives the go ahead. They are not the original part but with a bit of work fit well.

Paul

I would be interested in purchasing some arches, please let me know when you get them sorted!

Back