Puma MOT & Tax till April 2013 FRP Gearbox ST front brakes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaJames

Ford Puma, 1998 R reg in silver with tax until end of March 2013 and MOT until April 2013, currently with 123k on the clock and lots of history, old MOT's and receipts and the V5 is of course present.
My wife, and then myself have owned the car in the last 12 months where it has been used daily, and previously it was owned by a close friend of ours who used it to commute.
The car was fitted with a new Racing Puma gearbox in 2011 - the gearbox code on the tag reads MS 99 RR 2515 (see picture in photobucket link below) which tallys with the codes on pumabuild for an FRP box (http://pumabuild.com/pumacat/product_info.php?cPath=43_52_77&products_id=864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The gearbox is really slick and shifts as it should, the shorter gearing making it accelerate much better than standard.

It has also been fitted with a Fiesta ST front brake kit, which is a popular upgrade to the std 239mm discs taking them to 280mm and the ST calipers give a larger pad area, all with standard Ford parts! Goodrich braided brake lines front and rear were also fitted. Fitting the larger brakes required a wheel change as the ST caliper clashed with the inside face of the standard ones so there are 15" matt black Innovit wheels fitted with new Toyo T1-R tyres all round. The original wheels can be included for £50 if you want and are fitted with good tyres all round.

The rear arches are starting to suffer the usual Puma weakness and are showing signs of rust (i've tried to show this in the pics on photobucket) , but it is not structural and could be fairly easily repaired, there are also the usual scuffs and marks normal with a car of this age.

Inside there is a Kenwood mp3 stereo, and I also fitted a bass tube and amp, which can be left in for the new owner as it doesn't fit my new car. There is no aircon (which i always saw as a good thing) and it has the heated front screen, handy on winter mornings! The seats are a little grubby but I am sure they would clean up. I have noticed the passenger side carpet also getting a bit damp in heavy rain so I think that there is a leak somewhere. I tried sealing the bulkhead grommets but unfortunately it hasn't fully sorted it out. Seems to be a common PUma issue though.

I think this would make an excellent fun car or trackday car as it handles beautifully and the performance mods make it great fun to drive. The only reason for selling is that I do a 90 mile commute and it's a bit too small for me, though you can achieve 40mpg on a run which does make it practical.

Please don't expect a showcar, it has been used!!

Viewing is highly recommended so that you can see the car in the flesh... I have added 24 pics to Photobucket which are here http://s1113.beta.photobucket.com/user/jscairns1975/library/Puma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am looking at £850 ono, please email me on [email protected]. The car is about 20mins north of Salisbury.

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

Hopefully someone will buy but if you happen to end up breaking I'll be interested in the gearbox :)

Cheers grayfox, there's been a few views but nothing really yet :-(
Maybe I should just rip the interior out and trackday it for myself :grin:

Hello mate. The car looks good. I do like them in silver. Does this also have the Racing Puma LSD?
Cheers
Scott

Scott,

I'd love to be able to say that it does ('cos I have had many offers for the box alone!), but the truthful (and shameful) answer is that I don't know. I do know that it handles EXTREMELY well and the front end is never short of grip and I drove a lot of country roads. I've heard lot's of hearsay about how to test it, but I think that there is a lot of difficulty in being certain and I would hate to sell someone something on that basis and it then not be. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction!!

I'm also hating the fact that the car is now sat unused on the drive with the tax ticking away day by day.... it's looking like cashing the tax and breaking might be a real option :cry:

Simon,
I've lent the Puma to a friend for a few weeks as his car is broken, but it should be available early January if you are interested and want to have a look.
Cheers
James

Happy New Year Simon! As soon as I get the car back (which should be the weekend of the 12th/13th) I'll give you a shout and we can arrange for you to come and have a look at it!

Simon, should get the car back this weekend so I wondered if you were interested in having a look at it the weekend of the 19/20th?
Not sure where you are coming from but I can PM you my address.

Nearly 2 months after your initial post on here, that's impressive :grin:

Enjoy the car, exhaust blowing anywhere near the manifold seems to be quite common lol. Especially if it hasn't been well fitted.

Latest posts

Back