Puma replacement commuter : Aluminium content

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
Picked it up today :)

It's an Audi A2 75TDI SE 2004 with 73000 miles, FSH, climate control, just serviced, new cambelt and a years MOT.

Might seem like a weird choice, but 70mpg and £30 a year tax makes for a sensible 300+ mile a week commute. As a design engineer I appreciate the clever / quirky design and the fact that it's made entirely of Aluminium - >space frame< and body panels - so no rust - ever.

Drove like a dream on the 100 mile trip home. Went better than expected on the motorway especially the 60-80mph over taking ability as I'd forgotten how well diesels overtook since selling my Mondeo ST Tdci. Probably because the engine only has 3 cylinders it has much more character about it compared to a 4 cylinder one. It's also very quiet.

Anyway, pictures now it's home and next to the Cherie's TT:

With faster sister by DAL3D, on Flickr

Funky little flap opens to reveil oil fillup / oil dipstick / screen wash access.

P1040951 by DAL3D, on Flickr

The bonnet then comes off completely as it weighs next to nothing:
P1040965 by DAL3D, on Flickr

False boot floor - battery and tool kit under that:
P1040943 by DAL3D, on Flickr

Traction control switch.. yeah right..
P1040960 by DAL3D, on Flickr

Funky B pillar switches:
P1040967 by DAL3D, on Flickr

6 CD in dash stereo (with tape!) and climate with worn temperature button:
P1040953 by DAL3D, on Flickr

Things to do:

Get the plastic disc off the dash and remove the glue
Get a set of decent wheel centre caps
Give it a bloomin good wash
Get a spare set of alloys or at least a spare wheel
Sort the worn temperature button out

The photos don't really do the colour justice. It's very similar to Cuirass really, and being a pearlescent paint, it's got a lovely shine to it in the sun.

Is this Project Audi now or what? :-D

PS - both new cars are badass. :thumbs:

Need to get a "My other car is cool" sticker. And then pretend you have a Puma.

But on a side note i never knew they were all aluminiumy and space framey. And that flap in the bonnet is like secret agent stuff.

Bit more on the space frame:

The ASF (Audi Space Frame) of the A2 consists of 60 percent aluminium sheets, 22 percent aluminium castings and 18 percent aluminium extruded sections. ...., the aluminium body of the Audi A2 tips the scales at just 156 kilograms, including add-on parts.

The developers moreover drastically reduced the number of parts on the A2's space frame. This was achieved by using complex components, predominantly profiles and multifunctional castings. The A2 was for instance the first aluminium car on which Audi had used a single-section side panel frame. Meanwhile the degree of automation rose from 25 percent on the first A8 to 80 percent on the A2 and the current A8. The laser-welding of aluminium body components signalled a world first in the production sphere. The combined length of laser-welded seams on the A2 is in the order of 30 metres.

Audi A8, Audi A2, Lamborghini Gallardo:
aluminum.jpg

http://fourtitude.com/news/Audi_News_1/10-years-of-the-aluminium-and-lightweight-design-centre-in-neckarsulm/

As a Mechanical Engineer, it appeals in a geek kind of way.. :lol:

interesting, I knew about the A2, but didn;t realise the technology under the skin!

Saw lots of them at ADI castle coombe, as the A2 OC where there in force :)

Well this weeks commute was a breeze and getting used to the ways of the little aluminium can. Did 300 odd miles and used a little over half the 42 litre tank so should be 60+mpg when I fill up next. You can tell it has a very aerodynamic body as there's very little wind noise at 60mph and the rain almost flies off the windscreen without the need for wipers. Sorry, the wiper.

Gave it a first wash today too. You only really know a car when you wash it I think and thankfully didn't unearth too many nasties. There's a scratch on the front N/S wing that's been filled with completely the wrong colour paint, a few little scratches here and there but all of which I should be able to correct when it gets a bit warmer.

Put some rain-x on the windows too but mainly the rear one as there's no rear wiper! Still find myself reaching for the non existent rear wipe on the stalk!

Then had a play with the back seats and false boot floor. They fold up to behind the front seats giving a nice large square space, (with a support stay lol) but also come out completely to give a mini-van amount of space that is quite impressive given the outside dimension. The space frame manufacture helps out there considerably.

Seats up and supported:
IMG_20141221_134748 by DAL3D, on Flickr

Seats out:
IMG_20141221_135300 by DAL3D, on Flickr

Big square shape space:
(The two runners on the rear arches are the supports for the false boot floor)
IMG_20141221_135343 by DAL3D, on Flickr

One in:
(Just secures to the two black brackets at the front, and into the holes at the back:

IMG_20141221_140706 by DAL3D, on Flickr

The 6CD stereo is pretty decent to be honest and on a par with the Bose I had in the MPS. The front loading 6 CD changer also doesn't have the same reputation as the 6006 which is good.

Changed the dip beam bulbs to some Nightbreaker unlimited - The manual states that changing headlight bulbs is a main dealer job and doesn't even list the types! Even easier than the Puma to change as it's just two screws and it's out.

Dal said:
Put some rain-x on the windows too but mainly the rear one as there's no rear wiper! Still find myself reaching for the non existent rear wipe on the stalk!

must be an Audi thing :lol:

Yup - Cherie put some RainX on her freshly cleaned rear window too :lol:

Cherie was out putting an Xcarlink in her TT today so thought I'd mooch about and happened to look under my A2 to be presented with an inner tyre wall that had seen better days!

IMG_20150322_162643 by DAL3D, on Flickr

Pirelli P6000 - hard as a rock and never wear out - but do crack!

I don't think it's been there too long as it looked fairly clean on the inside but I didn't hesitate in getting it off! I've a spare set of 17s to put on but was only when I got them out I noticed a slight bulge in one of the inner edges. Bums, not my day. Luckily I've a spare virtually new 17" tyre so I'll get that swapped over tomorrow.

So as my little Akoya stands at the moment, he's got a pair of 16s and a pair of 17s as there's not a decent set of 4!

IMG_20150322_170419 by DAL3D, on Flickr

Much as how I dislike VAG cars (many many bad experiences with them in terms of reliability), I've had a sneaky respect for the A2s. One of Audi's 'money no object' design experiments that was sadly largely ignored in the UK, it is a fantastic concept with great execution.

Rumour is they lost £5k on each car because of the cost of all the aluminium and welding the space frame. As you say it was a "look what we can do" exercise in many respects.

Volkswagon Audi Group

AVG is an antivirus software group so cant use that...lol

VAG.. nearly Vagina.. apparantly.

Dal said:
Volkswagon Audi Group

AVG is an antivirus software group so cant use that...lol
Thanks, I honestly had never heard of that.

I suppose Gaviscon already snapped up their only other option. Even so, I can't see me ever driving anything called VAG, you'd be a laughing stock. Good at parties though, in a 'Hey, whose Vag is that outside?' type way.

@ Arch - it is also a slang term. ;)

Latest posts

Back