Puma replacement..harder than you think.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a fit bird around the corner from me and she has one with the factory bodykit and it looks brilliant

Iv had 9 ka's I really love them. Sadly the 1.6 sport or even street (yes I had one of them too!!) are so under powered.

I regularly enjoy annoying 2.0ltr diesels in my puma

I brought one a while back for £2750 needing a full paint job. It drove great but was pants on fuel and I still think the mx5 handles better

stuvy said:
[post]359325[/post] Joshua you need to drive an mgf as they don't handle well at all

The twingo's drink fuel to propel them up the road too and the hondas don't handle well as mentioned above
read the quote..i said in the vtec zone..This is always the problem with the vtec engines as you have to be at max revs to get the performance from the engine,hence driving around at 6-8 thousands revs..obviously not good for mpg.

TGPlayer1 said:
[post]359331[/post] MG ZS 180

Cheap to buy, V6 soundtrack and power, not as bad as you think build and the facelift ones have that fantastic X-power body kit.

Plus they are reasonably large so still practical, and will make 25mpg any day of the week.
Honda integra type R chassis!..a throw back to hoda/rover partnership..lots bought up now for trackdays..like the accord type R..as you say..a lot of car for low money.

It always amazes me that the`boys` go out and buy there crappy wide wheeled fiestas and polos instead of picking the puma which would blow both into the weeds standard.
The puma still suffers from the`hairdressers` car image..my mates laughed there ass`s off when I said I had bought a mint puma..
I really don't care what a car looks like,as long as it drives like the puma does.
In Evo magazine it was the only car to have no negative comments in the rear pages car assessment section..

People get all exited when the see a mk2 golf,or Rs turbo..but both wouldn't see which way a healthy puma went on a twisty road..

The puma is the best car i have driven and i have been driving 35 years,what car can replace it none in my opinion it has everything speed ,style and looks it will become a classic soon i am :) sure.

dingwells1985 said:
[post]359441[/post] The puma is the best car i have driven and i have been driving 35 years,what car can replace it none in my opinion it has everything speed ,style and looks it will become a classic soon i am :) sure.
I honestly don't think it will..its very long in the tooth now without a hint of the values going up..infact you can buy them for utter peanuts.
It really is a shame if they do just disappear.

I was toying with an Alfa Romeo GT 1750 twin spark as an every day car (not to replace the Puma) you can pick one up for around £3k if you shop around it is supposed to have decent handling and a characterful engine (steer clear of the GM sourced 1.9 diesel and 2.0 petrol lots of problems develop with those engines)... but wouldn't get anywhere near the Sigma 1.7 engine for mpg.

Only other car I have considered which I don't think has been mentioned is the new Ford Fiesta 1.0T ST Line with around about 140bhp on a lease deal, I've heard that they are even more fun to drive than the Fiesta ST itself!

Thinking about it there really aren't any decent small coupes in production that I can think of.

Future proofing a Puma has to be the way to go - such as getting replacement or improved parts that fit. The best we have come up with as a replacement is a Panda 100hp but after spending a lot on welding the Puma it's here to stay.......

After nearly 4 years with us it's never broken down or failed to start. I have pals with 5 year old VW Golfs that can't match that!

Reading this thread, I am a little confused as to whether it is about replacing the Puma with something cheap, or with something modern.

If it is about something of a similar cost, then I agree that nothing has come close to the Puma for fun and driveability. I think the only thing missing from the Puma is RWD to make it THE perfect fun machine.

Which brings me to the other option, something more modern. I really think that the closest thing to a Puma available new is the Toyota GT86 (or its twins), it drives great (like the Puma), it is really well balanced (like the Puma), it has enough power to be fun but could do with a little bit more (like the Puma), it has two back seats that none of us would ever want to get in (like the Puma), you can actually get the shopping in it (like the Puma), but last and not least, it brings RWD into the equation.

I am not saying that the GT86 is the perfect Puma replacement, but I would say that it is a very similar modern alternative.

JAC said:
[post]359823[/post] Reading this thread, I am a little confused as to whether it is about replacing the Puma with something cheap, or with something modern.

If it is about something of a similar cost, then I agree that nothing has come close to the Puma for fun and driveability. I think the only thing missing from the Puma is RWD to make it THE perfect fun machine.

Which brings me to the other option, something more modern. I really think that the closest thing to a Puma available new is the Toyota GT86 (or its twins), it drives great (like the Puma), it is really well balanced (like the Puma), it has enough power to be fun but could do with a little bit more (like the Puma), it has two back seats that none of us would ever want to get in (like the Puma), you can actually get the shopping in it (like the Puma), but last and not least, it brings RWD into the equation.

I am not saying that the GT86 is the perfect Puma replacement, but I would say that it is a very similar modern alternative.
Think Cosworth are doing a 290 Bhp version which should help.But I do think it's quite an ugly car unlike the Puma.

gingerdave said:
[post]359825[/post]
Think Cosworth are doing a 290 Bhp version which should help.But I do think it's quite an ugly car unlike the Puma.

Obviously looks are different for everyone, and the smooth rounded lines of the Puma are not there, but it is very similar in shape:

016075100_1235476392.jpg

toyota-gt86-trd-rear-angle-970x647-c.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

toyota-gt-86-trd-2_0.jpg

ford-puma-14_brown_10.jpg

toyota-gt86-launched-china-2.jpg

It's sort of a modern "japanese sporty" take on the shape, which is not for everyone. I sort of like it, but can't see it being a car that will look "modern" for very long, although I thought the same about the Puma back in the day.

I will definately have them one on the wish list in a few years once they drop into 4 digits.

JAC said:
[post]359823[/post] Reading this thread, I am a little confused as to whether it is about replacing the Puma with something cheap, or with something modern.
The OP was about both together with comparable qualities and so is/was rest of the thread, er, until now.

We all know, and indeed have known forever, that if you throw a min of 5 or 6K+ at a car that you'll find one that ticks most of the boxes reasonably well. But, we've always known that, so discussing that side is like watching old episodes of Fifth Gear or something.

What is new (newish) is the fact that it's possible to tick all those boxes for less than 1 or 2K with the Puma! Accept a few bits of rust and it can be done for £500 even. That is unheard of.

So, yeah, the game has been changed and people are now asking if and when they change their Pumas is it possible to find something comparable, but younger (say, up to 10 years old) for less than 2K? My casual browsing on Gumtree* suggests not.

* within the brief, the MX5 is possible, but the Mk1 and 2s are all getting old now and the Mk3 wishes it looked like the previous versions, well, their owners do.

The other one is the Mazda RX8, but this is the car you hope your mate gets, so you can see how they get on with it. Looks OK, handles and drives OK, but has a Wankel engine (that is not a critique on the engine, it is actually called that) that needs a litre of oil every 1,000 miles, has really awful petrol consumption and cost a fortune to fix if it goes wrong. Apart from that, it's fine.

Some Renaults may also be possibles, but I'll need to look into that more closely.

Sorry if I derailed the thread Frank, and actually for under 2 grand here you would be lucky to tick any boxes at all :grin:

If I do a search on Autoscout, select less than 10 years, less than 3000€ and Coupe, I get 3 results: a Daewoo Lanos, a Smart ForTwo (with 150k) and Citroen C4.

Personally, I wouldn't swap the Puma for all three together :-D

JAC said:
[post]359831[/post] Sorry if I derailed the thread Frank
No problem. This stuff is not written in your native language, so it's easy to miss the nuances.

But, the thread does raise an important point. We've now taken on board that cars no longer only last 10 years before they turn into circus clown comedy cars with bits endlessly falling off them or exploding...and that really is what it used to be like. Now, I suggest, that in our throw-away society, that not everything can just be thrown away. Microwave/PC/TV/Puma bust? ...'ya, ya, whatever, don't bother to even check it, life's too short, just throw it away and get something newer.'

Maybe if it dawns on people that they will have to shell out at least 4K+ to replace their Pumas with anything anywhere near as good then we'll see less of this old 'throwing good money after bad' argument and a few more Pumas will live to drive another day, who knows? :)

I do like the GT86 but it doesn't quite fall in the category since buying one is still out of the question :lol:

I had a GT86 together with my Puma and a Mk2.5 MX5. The only car I still have is the Puma - will never part with it.

Well,i went out and bought a Suzuki swift sport..just shy of 4 grand for a 08 model.
That's top money for a phase 2 swift...but it has a full Suzuki service history.

Now the dilemma ...do I keep the puma,and just bring it back up to its former glory.
Mechanically is as sweet as a nut,with almost every suspension part changed for new,as well as a new clutch assembly.

The wife had a minor knock in it a while back,which cracked the headlight and dented the wing..so that will need addressing.

The sensible part of me says sell it..but whats it worth???..virtually nothing(2000 model..70k miles).

If it just sits outside,its just going to degrade.
But everytime I drive it,i just think..the way this car feels and drives,it will NEVER be repeated again...its just cant with currant safety/emmisions/electric steering etc.

andrewjeffs said:
[post]360031[/post]
Now the dilemma ...do I keep the puma
First thing to do, er, is nothing. Keep it charged up, ventilate it inside and take it for short runs (if possible). Review the situation in 3 months, as things become clearer with the passage of time.

*Obvious point* - once it's gone, it's gone and not coming back.

Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back