Puma whine in 5th gear?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dcandy

My lovely Puma which I've just got has been standing for a while (maybe 6 months) so as I go along I'm finding out the many little faults and fixing them. The main one I've just started getting after 100 miles covered is a whine in 5th gear. I'm guessing a gearbox rebuild is in order, but I'm tempted to source one/get a recon and then get my local garage who have been great to do a straight swap to minimise any downtime, what do you reckon?

Also, I think I've got this one nailed, but sometimes as you approach say a roundabout and change down the geras the car stalls...is that a MAF clean job?

Any advice greatfully received...

Might be idle control valve faulty or dirty
Might be the switch has come off the top of the clutch peadal
Lots of other possibilites as well

OK where is the switch on top of clutch pedal? And the idle valve?

Tell me, did you have your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/significant other with you when you noticed the whining? :)

Stalling at junctions is normally an indication of weak mixture, which is normally related to air supply.

ECU will normally report lambda or MAF problems so if you've no codes stored (don't rely on the light showing), then you would inspect suspect ICV.

I would think the ECU knows about it and is adjusting the mixture from a rich condition. If its idling OK then it needs to go on a code reader.

Yup - waiting for some spare cash and I'll buy one Ian. So many niggling things to get sorted with car - I'm not moaning just the way it is...
Gearbox a recon is the way to go I feel. What do you reckon Ian?

Cheaper to find a good used one although its false economy to buy one untested.

Only real issue with them is the selector spring, they weaken over time and eventually fail and although the part is very cheap, its a complete strip down to fit it. Can check how the stick feels before it comes out but you'll never fully know.

Recon would sort that but I'm not sure at what cost.

Won't leave you stranded, just that the stick doesn't self-centre when they go so its not as nice to drive.

Thrust bearings also go noisy. Again, can be checked while its in the car. Although you'll probably want to do a clutch while its out depending what you know about its history.

Best I have currently is this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-gearbox-78k-fully-tested-OK-99-on-digital-odometer-IB5-/171182955855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok...so what would explain a whine only in 5th gear then? For me, it's my daily driver so needs to be off the road for a short time only...

Difficult to say the cause, probably a bearing. You'll know if you take it apart, it'll be the blue one :lol:

Quickest way is to have one sitting there, which doesn't preclude getting a recon unit on exchange but would mean you need to check their terms to see how long you have to return your box.

Or buy a recon one outright - again, not sure of the costs for this, sure someone will be able to advise.

Or a used one to either put straight in or send to the recon people. Mine are tested and I've still some in cars I could go drive and pay special attention to noises like that and make sure there are non, but I can't spend that long in 5th, my test track isn't that big :lol:

Clutch you can re-use.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. She has been standing a good while though (6 months+) so at moment it's all a kinda suck it and see exercise. Whine is actually less now than it was with an extra 100 miles on the clock...

Back