Question regarding wiring

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAC

I am happily using the Puma as my daily driver, how did I abandon the poor thing for months?!?!

Anyways, I am missing decent music, so I am working on designing a slight upgrade, but more on that later.

My question is regarding the wiring of the stock radio. I haven't started to actually test wires yet, but seeing that this forum is full of knowledge, maybe I could be lazy and someone already knows the answer :D

The radio obviously has a permanent feed to it, so that it keeps its memory. It also has an ACC/RUN feed so it comes on when the ignition is on. I also noticed today that, although the radio is turned off, the buttons light up when the car lights are switched on.

Is there also a 3rd feed to the stock radio?

If so, do anyone know where this feed comes from (i.e: fuse etc)?

For aftermarket stereos there's often a third wire (an orange one) which is a 'dimmer' wire which can control the dimming of the lights on a stereo so there would be some kind of low powered input there. My guess is that it would be fused with the rest of the dash illumination. I don't know for sure though unfortunately

Break1.jpg

This is something I made up a long time ago, Earth, +12Perm,+12ACC and +12lamps. Plugs between the car wiring and radio and has a "slave" four way connector. I'd call it a Break out" connector. used it for the glove box light, and as a switched supply via a boot release button to drive a boot release relay, I think

Earth Black
Sw +ve Red
Perm+ve Yellow
Lamps Orange

Or if you convert to something like a Sony:

Attachments

• Break2.jpg
    Break2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 119
Pkp said:
[post]360152[/post]

This is something I made up a long time ago, Earth, +12Perm,+12ACC and +12lamps. Plugs between the car wiring and radio and has a "slave" four way connector. I'd call it a Break out" connector. used it for the glove box light, and as a switched supply via a boot release button to drive a boot release relay, I think

Earth Black
Sw +ve Red
Perm+ve Yellow
Lamps Orange

I missed this, probably 'cos I didn't read it, sorry!

So, you are saying that the orange wire is the feed to the lights? Is it orange in the actual car wiring or just on the connector?

(and thanks, although belated!)

Now you are asking, it was a long time ago I made these up, and have recently sold the Puma (sob sob!!!)

I'll have a look and see what I might have in the garage and notes I may have written at the time and post.

The colours on my made up connector were what I had available, so some are correct, but not all of them!

From the Haynes Fiesta (3397) manual vehicle wiring as below :

1 - Og/Bk : Permanent 12v
2 - Bk/Ye : Earth
3 - Bu/Bk : Switched 12v
4 - Og/Bk : Lighting
5 - Bk/Og : Alarm
6 - Bk/Gn : Earth
7 - Not used, but used to be a feed to electric aerialsI think

Fuses

Again from the Haynes Fiesta manual,
12v Perm F22
12 switched F19
Lighting F6

I still have the Ford-Ford connector, the Sony one went with the car

Thanks again, that info would make it very easy to trace.

Hopefully I can use the "Lighting" to power a couple of led's that will illuminate a couple of dials. When I get around to swapping the head unit out again that is.

Back