Quote for head removal, valve fix and re-skim etc.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floore

Hello fellow puma people,

Recently had a load of problems with my Puma. Coil needed replacing (£80, not bad) and to be safe I changed the plugs and HT leads, then it started misfiring a couple of weeks later. Got it checked out at a garage (for free, even better) and they reckon the cylinder 4 valve isn't working properly as the compression testing showed low pressure. They have told me it'll be around £500. I trust this garage and use them all the time so I don't think they would be ripping me off, but they said it MIGHT be the valve. Not really sure what to do now apart from just say do it and suck it up when handing over my debit card.

I was just wondering if there were alternatives (i.e. doing it myself, I have friends who are mechanics) or if this is a rip off price and perhaps seek another garage, or perhaps just try and bring them down a bit on the price.

Any past experiences with this and costs would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Tom (stressed)

If it is the problem and they fix it then it's probably a good price I'd say.

He said he was pretty certain when I spoke to him just now so I booked it in. We shall see....

Tom

its always worth trying to knock money off most people wont want to loose a job like that!

'Might' wouldn't cut it for me... i want a simple leak down test done to pinpoint EXACTLY what the problem was... if they don't know what one of those is then i'd be walking back out the door... :lol:

have they read the stored error codes...?? maybe somthing as simple as fuel delivery issue...ie contamination/filter/pump etc

:wink:

could be many things but the reason its £500 is cause they know they will find something and be able to fix it even if it means re ringing the engine.

does that price include parts or just labour?

Latest posts

Back