rear beam bushes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinc2000

seeing as how this is going to be a diy job can I replace the beam bushes just by removing bolt through the bush itself and dropping the beam onto a stand or do I have to remove the mounting (4 bolts) as well

Tried looking through other posts but still need clarification please

Are you asking if you need to remove the rear beam to replace the bushes?

This How To shows you what to do: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21277&p=324961&hilit=rear+beam+bushes#p324961

Have no intention to remove the complete beam, unless I need to, just wondering if it is easier to drop the mounting first rather than simply dropping the beam from the mounting.
Will check out the topic first, cheers for that

I just removed the bolts that went through the middle of the bushes when I did mine, you shouldn't need to remove the brackets.

Quick look that I had at the test centre looks like bolts go from outside in which means they will hit sills before they come out, not yet had chance to put the car up in the air as doing brake pipes first so that I can actually drive the car again so may be I was wrong about the bolts.
Have decided to go with polybushes when I replace them

Rear beam is now detached from car...had no choice but to drop the mountings first (all 8 bolts!!) as bolt does go the wrong way through the bush.....cut out the old bushes tomorrow hopefully then I think we are good for a re-test this week.

Thanks for that, have marked them so they go back the same way round and note there is a spike on the back which aids alignment hopefully

If I remember right the spike is not a tight fit in the hole in the chassis so use the witness marks on the axle brackets to relocate the axle ( the marks from the heads of the bolts)
Barry

Seems like a good idea as yes there is some play around the spike :thumbs:

Hopefully going back together tomorrow, both polybushes now in place in the beam....so far so good

Thinking maybe I will take it somewhere and get a 4 wheel alignment done in the new year before I start to use it, although have to say it feels fine at the moment, no pulling under hard acceleration or braking.

I did notice when I re-attached everything that any play around the spike is mainly front/rear...side play is very minimal, witness marks were used although when you are on your back on the floor this is not ideal but as I said at first drive it seems fine.
Rear toe-in should in reality be fine as the new poly bushes allow no side to side movement at all.
I did notice on route to its MOT that it felt so much tighter at the back, maybe a bit harsher but I can live with that, really looking forward to doing all the little jobs and driving it in the new year...first trip will be over to Newcastle, nice little 240 mile round trip to shake it down a bit.
Thanks guys for help/comments so far

Back